Mixing Ocellaris?

eraserhead187

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 5, 2018
Messages
250
Reaction score
141
Location
Edinburgh, IN
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

I had a bonded pair of black snowflake ocellaris in my 30gal reef. Well, one of them decided to jump the back barrier into the overflow and died. I want to get another single ocellaris, but different color pattern. Will I run into problems with this? I have a pretty good sized RBTA in there that the pair never hosted. What shoyld I expect if I get another single ocellaris? Or would I be better off getting rid of this single guy and trying to find another bonded pair? Do ocellaris have the potential to pair off if they are different colors?

Thanks in advance!
 
I think if you get another one it will take the role of the lost one, I also recommend understanding the reason of why the clownfish jumped off the tank in the first place
 
It’s a common thing to mix them. It is sometimes easier to pair same color morphs but it’s been done plenty of times. That’s how many of the designer clowns came about.
 
Oh for sure. This is one of the previous generation biocubes, and the water level at the back is maybe a quarter inch below the lip that goes to the overflow. Pretty poor design. I've got a piece of plexiglass blocking it off now. I always got snails in the overflow too, easy trip for them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new