Mixing praxis with metro in a uronema infected tank

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a typo in the title, I meant prazi
Can I mix metro infused flakes with Prazi infused flakes? Would there be an adverse reaction?
I have a yellow tang and a kole tang in my QT that I just removed 2 uronema infected damsels from. I can only assume that it is in the tank so now I must treat them. I am still trying to determine the best corse of action because I hope to eventually add them to my display and they show no signs of sickness right now.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a typo in the title, I meant prazi
Can I mix metro infused flakes with Prazi infused flakes? Would there be an adverse reaction?
I have a yellow tang and a kole tang in my QT that I just removed 2 uronema infected damsels from. I can only assume that it is in the tank so now I must treat them. I am still trying to determine the best corse of action because I hope to eventually add them to my display and they show no signs of sickness right now.

You can mix Praziquantel and Metrodonizol -- it's already done and called General Cure! So, there shouldn't be any issues with mixing these medications.

Last edited:

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the fish have no signs of Uronema with sores, I don't think a Formalin or Ruby Reef Rally bath is required. But I would transfer them to a new "clean" hospital tank rather than keeping them in the infected tank. Then per @Humblefish guidelines for treatment:

"Post bath, transfer the fish into a clean/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. Then dose Chloroquine Phosphate once (60 mg/gal) or metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days thereafter. This is to ensure all of the parasites have been eradicated. Remember to also food soak metronidazole during the QT period in order to eliminate the internal parasites as well."

Then, you will really want to strongly disinfect that original quarantine tank and all the equipment since once Uronema is in a tank, it is almost impossible to eradicate it from the tank!

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the fish have no signs of Uronema with sores, I don't think a Formalin or Ruby Reef Rally bath is required. But I would transfer them to a new "clean" hospital tank rather than keeping them in the infected tank. Then per @Humblefish guidelines for treatment:

"Post bath, transfer the fish into a clean/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. Then dose Chloroquine Phosphate once (60 mg/gal) or metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days thereafter. This is to ensure all of the parasites have been eradicated. Remember to also food soak metronidazole during the QT period in order to eliminate the internal parasites as well."

Then, you will really want to strongly disinfect that original quarantine tank and all the equipment since once Uronema is in a tank, it is almost impossible to eradicate it from the tank!
The only problem is that I don’t have the resources to start a new tank right now. I was thinking I should dose cupramine to the display tank because I’ve read that it does well against uronema. What do you think?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is that I don’t have the resources to start a new tank right now. I was thinking I should dose cupramine to the display tank because I’ve read that it does well against uronema. What do you think?
I am not aware of using Cupramine for Uronema.

But, cupramine is copper (ionic version) so it's usually not advised to be used in a DT. If you have any inverts, ie...snails, shrimp, or corals, it will kill them all. Then afterwards, it will be absorbed by the rocks and remain in the system for months. It's very hard to get out of a DT to safe levels for inverts.

Maybe use a 5g bucket or tote as your additional tank for treatment?

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But, cupramine is copper (ionic version) so it's usually not advised to be used in a DT. If you have any inverts, ie...snails, shrimp, or corals, it will kill them all. Then afterwards, it will be absorbed by the rocks and remain in the system for months. It's very hard to get out of a DT to safe levels for inverts.

So what I meant by saying I don’t have the resources to start another one is that I can’t start another qt. I have my display tank a 40 gallon qt (that is currently housing the tangs) and a 5 gallon qt( holding damsels). I would be dosing the copper into the 40 gallon tank. I just don’t have another tank to transfer the tangs into so that I can sterilize the tank they are in.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should I put the tangs in buckets and then drain and sterilize the 40 gallon then put the tangs back in after sterilization?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put the tangs in buckets and then drain and sterilize the 40 gallon then put the tangs back in after sterilization?

Probably not a bad idea...just gotta keep the water temp correct. It would probably only have to be for a day or two.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back