Mixing Salt Brands On Upgrade

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on upgrading my aquarium from 54 gallons to 125 gallons with sump.
The question is, can I use two different brands when filling up the 125?

I currently have Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, but the amount I have wont be enough for the water volume I will have.
I am considering switching to Fritz Pro Reef Pro Mix (Red Box).

So, would there be any problems in using these two brands when filling up the new tank?

I would be mixing them separately of course.

Thanks in advance.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with that, the only issue would be the alk may change each time you mix the salts together, but not a problem with no fish/corals in the tank.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with that, the only issue would be the alk may change each time you mix the salts together, but not a problem with no fish/corals in the tank.
When you say no fish/corals in the tank, do you mean while filling the tank up?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to reuse the tank water from the old tank if you are doing a quick move of live stock. If you are not moving livestock and are going to cycle the new tank first, I would use the cheapest salt I could get, IO or RC, and fill it with that. You will need to do a huge water change after the cycle and before adding the livestock. That is when I would use the better salt.
If you are moving the livestock over right away, be sure to match Alk, PH, and salinity. There shouldn't be much of an issue after that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say no fish/corals in the tank, do you mean while filling the tank up?

I was just meaning the only issue would be the alk would maybe not stay the same between mixes if you were to do this with fish or corals in the tank so you would need to correct the alk with each salt mix.

even when you have fish in the tank, mixing two salts together is not an issue, you just need to check the parameters of the mix each time so you get a consistent mix.

Yes goes without saying you don’t mix salt in the tank with live animals in there.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to reuse the tank water from the old tank if you are doing a quick move of live stock. If you are not moving livestock and are going to cycle the new tank first, I would use the cheapest salt I could get, IO or RC, and fill it with that. You will need to do a huge water change after the cycle and before adding the livestock. That is when I would use the better salt.
If you are moving the livestock over right away, be sure to match Alk, PH, and salinity. There shouldn't be much of an issue after that.
I would reuse the tank water, and I will test to make sure everything is as equal as possible.

OP
OP
C

Chrizzolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just meaning the only issue would be the alk would maybe not stay the same between mixes if you were to do this with fish or corals in the tank so you would need to correct the alk with each salt mix.

even when you have fish in the tank, mixing two salts together is not an issue, you just need to check the parameters of the mix each time so you get a consistent mix.

Yes goes without saying you don’t mix salt in the tank with live animals in there.
Oh, okay, got confused there for a moment.

As long as mixing two brands is not an issue then its perfect.

I was nervous that something might have went wrong.

I will test the mixes to make sure the parameters are as close as possible to the current tank.

Sorry for my bad english.

Back