Mixing Stations

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 55 gallon barrels that I use for 10% weekly water changes. I have been keeping submersible pond pumps to keep the water mixed, but it's not working. I have a layer of salt on the floor of the barrels, and low saline when it reaches the tank. How do you keep your reservoir water mixed and fresh ?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it a layer of salt or precipitation from the salt? I also use pond pumps for mixing with no issues. How are you testing salinity as well? Because you should honestly have higher salinity in the salt bin from water evaporation. This also plays a factor of where you mix the salt as well.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tends to happen when the saltwater sits for awhile. Now I mix the day of a water change. It should only take 30 mins for water to clear after adding salt When using pump.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a pond pump a heater and tropic marine pro for salt.. I noticed when I used reef crystals and no heater I got more participants.. I added a heater and it improved significantly.. now I’m using tropic marine and it’s crystal clear!

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the pump outlet pointing up and laying down so the outlet of pump pushes water across the bottom? Some people add PVC piping if pump outlet is pointing up to direct water back down to the base of the reservoir to kick up salt from the bottom.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a heater when you mix? I leave saltwater in my barrel for a month at a time and don't have any issue with a salt layer at the bottom. When mixing the water I heat the barrel of water and use an external pump I have hard plumbed into the mixing station to keep it circulating for about 24 hours. Once it is mixed, I unplug the heater and pump and leave it sit without issue. I will turn the heat on again the day before a water change to match temperature up again.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back