Mixing tangs

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive currently got a yellow tang and would ultimately love to add a powder blue, and possibly a purple.

Do these species get along? I’ve got 120g with many hiding spots in the rock.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best answer ... Maybe... Worst, no..
There is no real answer to the question other than ancidotal evidence.
Yellow and Purple are in the same genus and may or may not get along. They have a better chance of coexisting if added at the same time.
As for the powder blue, they are known for 3 things, A) being beautiful B) being an ich magnet and C) being very aggressive.
Now now of these things are guaranteed, but very likely.
You can definitely try it, but don't be surprised if one or more needs to be rehomed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue is my dream fish. It was the first fish I ever felt like I *had* to have. I’d love to have one but not at the cost/hassle of it wiping out my livestock.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet at this point might be to acquire the powderblue and purple together, and put them through a complete QT protocol, including prophylactic treatment for ich / velvet and flukes. If you can manage it, remove the yellow from your display a few weeks prior to introducing the other two, then add all three back in at the same time.

Then ... maybe.

How long is your 120? The powderblue, in particular, will appreciate a 6'+ run.

~Bruce

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a purple. They still don’t care for each other . They don’t fight all the time just when they get to close.

Power blue tang is also my dream fish. They get Ich sooo easily it seems. I had a Caribbean blue tang and it was loaded with Ich. Same gean. My buddy has a power blue and it was full of Ich.

Even on the garlic extreme product to help fight Ich and make the food taste better they have a power blue tang on the cover..

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow and a purple. They still don’t care for each other . They don’t fight all the time just when they get to close.

Power blue tang is also my dream fish. They get Ich sooo easily it seems. I had a Caribbean blue tang and it was loaded with Ich. Same gean. My buddy has a power blue and it was full of Ich.

Even on the garlic extreme product to help fight Ich and make the food taste better they have a power blue tang on the cover..
You didn’t qt with copper?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of this will depend on how good of hiding spots that you have and how much you feed them. Tangs can be perfectly reasonable and nice tank mates when their needs are met, but overstimulate, underfeed and don't let them get away from everything else (hide), then they act like the ******s on a MTV reality TV show. If you have rock work with some "arches" and "caves' then those are for you and not the fish - if you just stacked up the rock and it is dense and the fish can completely escape from being seen, then that is good. You need to be feeding them enough so that they are growing at least an inch a year.

I have purple, yellow, chocolate, PBTs at time (they get big and get moved on to larger than my 240g) and sometimes some other bristle tooths... never any aggression or disease. I do not QT, but I do isolate - I make sure that they are healthy enough to fight off disease on their own. My purple is over a decade old and the yellow and chocolate are about 8 years old.

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet at this point might be to acquire the powderblue and purple together, and put them through a complete QT protocol, including prophylactic treatment for ich / velvet and flukes. If you can manage it, remove the yellow from your display a few weeks prior to introducing the other two, then add all three back in at the same time.

Then ... maybe.

How long is your 120? The powderblue, in particular, will appreciate a 6'+ run.

~Bruce
My tank is 60” long 18” wide 24” tall

I like the purple but it’s not as important as the powder blue. I like the powder brown as a back up but no where near as much as the blue.

btruckin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 with the same dimensions as yours. I have a powder blue and two yellow tangs that have been together in the tank for about 1 1/2 years. All of them were added separately and they get along for the most part.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back