Mixing tangs

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 gallon reef tank . In my car and I have 4 purple tangs , 1 chevron tang, 1 yellow tang , 1 large hippo tang ( second in command) and 1 very large sailfin tang( the boss) . Yesterday I acquired a gem tang put him in last night with lights off. This morning only the chevron was showing aggression to the gem. That are the closest in size so I’m thinking they are establishing the pecking order. Hoping all is well when I get home from work.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. With that combination you'll need to keep an eye out for any aggreassion and be ready to rehome if needed. You may initially be successful but as your tangs mature you may have aggessive behaviour show up years down the road.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully. With that combination you'll need to keep an eye out for any aggreassion and be ready to rehome if needed. You may initially be successful but as your tangs mature you may have aggessive behaviour show up years down the road.
Yes sir I was thinking that, luckily I have a 200 gallon fowlr system on ready

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember “aggression” is shown in two ways in our tanks. 1. Stay in your own space. 2. You’re toast!
Number 1. Looks aggressive but it’s a lot of keeping the new tank mate out of one or more fish’s territory. That’s what fish do.
Number 2. Ripping fins off or biting, chasing everywhere.
Both are stressful and can lead to death. But in my experience if I just watch them carefully for hours/days I quickly realize if it’s 1. or 2. Usually it’s 1. And ultimately the fish lives, joining the original tank mates in their territory and I get to keep that fish that I always wanted. Good luck.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember “aggression” is shown in two ways in our tanks. 1. Stay in your own space. 2. You’re toast!
Number 1. Looks aggressive but it’s a lot of keeping the new tank mate out of one or more fish’s territory. That’s what fish do.
Number 2. Ripping fins off or biting, chasing everywhere.
Both are stressful and can lead to death. But in my experience if I just watch them carefully for hours/days I quickly realize if it’s 1. or 2. Usually it’s 1. And ultimately the fish lives, joining the original tank mates in their territory and I get to keep that fish that I always wanted. Good luck.
That’s what I’m hoping. Right now it’s a lot of blowing up and flexing lol . Each fish is in a pecking order like most animals. Ones he finds out where he is on the chain it should calm down. There has not been any real conflicts or physical contact just the showing of size. My big sailfin has paid him no attention ( no risk there) . The yellow ( next to smallest tried him first but ended up submitting. He is in the middle of the pack and the chevron is his most equal so it’s down to them and it should be done.

OP
OP
kzenoni

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B55ABFC6-EBBF-4921-BCF2-73A85E54A44F.jpeg
458BFD32-52AE-464F-8765-74A2C55058E7.jpeg
8510918C-2BB0-4822-A459-D5BCC7E78706.jpeg
8A70B0E2-0D5A-4C36-B794-9AC5E249A938.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back