Mixing three types of wrasses together

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be able to keep three of my favorite wrasses together. Being the yellow coris, melanurus, and six line wrasse. I've read a lot of thing on mixing wrasses together but, I haven't seen much one these three together. If anyone can help or give advice. It'll be very helpful!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a H. Melanurus and a H. Leucoxanthus in a 125 successfully and I know several people with the multiple Halichoeres wrasses together in large tanks. What size tank do you have as that will play into it a lot?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, I should note my Melanurus is currently transitioning to make and my H. Leucoxanthus is a female still. As they both become males it could cause problems.

@Slocke @Petcrazyson @i cant think anything to add?

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tank size really matters when mixing any type of fish. I have 210gal display and I have six line, yellow corris, malanurus, red head solon, naoko, radiant , ornate and mystery…the six line being the very first wrasse like 4ish years and so far no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a H. Melanurus and a H. Leucoxanthus in a 125 successfully and I know several people with the multiple Halichoeres wrasses together in large tanks. What size tank do you have as that will play into it a lot?
Currently I have a 75 gallon. I wanna upgrade the tank but it's the matter of getting time to move stuff to have room for a larger system.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be able to keep three of my favorite wrasses together. Being the yellow coris, melanurus, and six line wrasse. I've read a lot of thing on mixing wrasses together but, I haven't seen much one these three together. If anyone can help or give advice. It'll be very helpful!
Sixline do not get on with other wrasse. Definitely not one of those. Halichoeres, fairy, flashers, leopard, tamarin, and a few other smaller groups of wrasse do.
I suggest swapping the sixline with a pink streak.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline do not get on with other wrasse. Definitely not one of those. Halichoeres, fairy, flashers, leopard, tamarin, and a few other smaller groups of wrasse do.
I suggest swapping the sixline with a pink streak.
Leopard wrasses are very pretty but I'm just worried about finding one that's been eating because I haven't seen one in any of my lfs.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are very pretty but I'm just worried about finding one that's been eating because I haven't seen one in any of my lfs.
if you like Macropharyngodon species (leopards) and if ornatus is one of them, you could look into a Xenojulis margaritaceus. Much easier to get them to feed and much less sensitive.

I would pass on the sixline as it would become a terror in a 75, definitely with other wrasse, some similar body shaped wrasse you make like are the Pink Streaks @Slocke mentioned, but these are really docile and very cryptic fish

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you like Macropharyngodon species (leopards) and if ornatus is one of them, you could look into a Xenojulis margaritaceus. Much easier to get them to feed and much less sensitive.

I would pass on the sixline as it would become a terror in a 75, definitely with other wrasse, some similar body shaped wrasse you make like are the Pink Streaks @Slocke mentioned, but these are really docile and very cryptic fish
Those are pretty. I wanna be able to together wrasses together in my system. Which I think would add a lot of life and color to the tank.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are pretty. I wanna be able to together wrasses together in my system. Which I think would add a lot of life and color to the tank.
Understandable. It’s great you like wrasse! Here’s a tip for when you add your wrasse. Use an acclamation box. These are wonderful and help the new wrasse get used to its surroundings while not technically in the surroundings, and is safe from other fish specifically wrasse which would be your Halichoeres chrysus or melanurus or any other wrasse. The mirror trick is not the best for wrasse as it can stress them out too easily or get them overly excited. What other fish do you have in the tank atm? You could house more wrasse you like if you have enough space and territory and the aggression level is kept low.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable. It’s great you like wrasse! Here’s a tip for when you add your wrasse. Use an acclamation box. These are wonderful and help the new wrasse get used to its surroundings while not technically in the surroundings, and is safe from other fish specifically wrasse which would be your Halichoeres chrysus or melanurus or any other wrasse. The mirror trick is not the best for wrasse as it can stress them out too easily or get them overly excited. What other fish do you have in the tank atm? You could house more wrasse you like if you have enough space and territory and the aggression level is kept low.
Right now there's not much. 2 clownfish, flame fin tangs, and a zebra eel

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now there's not much. 2 clownfish, flame fin tangs, and a zebra eel
I’d be a little cautious around the eel with Pink Streak wrasse. Ik that the Zebras are the safest to keep with reef fish and really only eat large inverts like crabs, but it could still be a slight possibility. Not saying don’t add some if you want to just saying to keep this in mind.

You could probably add a Cirrhilabrus wrasse like a Naokoae or or rubromarginalus

Naoko:
1687492854383.png

These guys usually stay at the surface of the water and usually display frequently throughout the day. What I like about those guys is their character hey dive bomb playfully at other fish and spread their fins out showing lovely blues in their fins.

rubromarginalus
1687493102752.png

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’d be a little cautious around the eel with Pink Streak wrasse. Ik that the Zebras are the safest to keep with reef fish and really only eat large inverts like crabs, but it could still be a slight possibility. Not saying don’t add some if you want to just saying to keep this in mind.

You could probably add a Cirrhilabrus wrasse like a Naokoae or or rubromarginalus

Naoko:
1687492854383.png

These guys usually stay at the surface of the water and usually display frequently throughout the day. What I like about those guys is their character hey dive bomb playfully at other fish and spread their fins out showing lovely blues in their fins.

rubromarginalus
1687493102752.png
See, THIS is why I invited you!

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Naoko:
1687492854383.png

rubromarginalus
1687493102752.png
I haven't had a problem with the eel and small fish. I use to have a mandarin but, the mandarin wouldn't eat frozen foods and ended up eating all the pods.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200g and have
- sixline
- melanurus
- 2 yellow coris
- pintail
- adding exquisite wrasse this weekend

Most been together for over a year. No fighting. Everyone gets along great including 5 damsels, 2 clowns, 5 tangs, 1 dwarf angel, 6 anthias, 2 firefish, 2 banggai cardinal, 1 copperband, 1 foxface, and probably 5 more fish I forgot about.

Tank size and rock structure matters a lot. And feed feed feed.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200g and have
- sixline
- melanurus
- 2 yellow coris
- pintailwanna

Most been together for over a year. No fighting. Everyone gets along great including 5 damsels, 2 clowns, 5 tangs, 1 dwarf angel, 6 anthias, 2 firefish, 2 banggai cardinal, 1 copperband, 1 foxface, and probably 5 more fish I forgot about.

I wanna get a foxfire. I've been feeding once a week right now till I get some chaeto for the refugium to help with nitrates.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200g and have
- sixline
- melanurus
- 2 yellow coris
- pintail

Once both of your “coris” and or your sixline become male you will have issues and I’d be prepared. Unfortunately all wrasse do become male and that’s when the aggression starts.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a problem with the eel and small fish. I use to have a mandarin but, the mandarin wouldn't eat frozen foods and ended up eating all the pods.
Wrasse generally are fine with pebbletoothed eels. It’s gobies and blennies I worry about.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna be able to add a good number of wrasses for the pest control being melanurus and yellow coris then some very pretty show piece fish with pretty colors.
Paracheilinus, Cirrhilabrus, and the tricky yet rewarding Macropharyngodon and Anampses are great choices!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back