Mixing three types of wrasses together

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I suggest everyone getting into wrasse skims through this. It is a great article.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wanna be able to add a good number of wrasses for the pest control being melanurus and yellow coris then some very pretty show piece fish with pretty colors.
My H. Leucoxanthus is as pretty as a Yellow Coris.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many wrasses you think I could add to my system?
No set number. Depends on territory, swim spaces, aggression, your goals, and the ones you want among other things. You said you would like to add a melanurus and a chrysus right?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Lavabrine ninja

Yellow Coris (H. Chrysus)
1687494704445.png

H. Leucoxanthus (Four Spot/Yellow & Purple)
1687494789091.png

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once both of your “coris” and or your sixline become male you will have issues and I’d be prepared. Unfortunately all wrasse do become male and that’s when the aggression starts.
I had the sixline for over 5 years now. One yellow coris is over 5 inches long and fat like a burrito. The other yellow coris is smaller. At what point do you think they will turn male?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the sixline for over 5 years now. One yellow coris is over 5 inches long and fat like a burrito. The other yellow coris is smaller. At what point do you think they will turn male?
They probably are male already. Could you post some pictures of them?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think do you know the difference between male and female chrysus? You'll know its gone male when they start having territorial disputes so I guess the smaller is still female.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think do you know the difference between male and female chrysus? You'll know its gone male when they start having territorial disputes so I guess the smaller is still female.
The male usually has the green and red stripes on its face, and I think the female looks more like a Juvie

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No set number. Depends on territory, swim spaces, aggression, your goals, and the ones you want among other things. You said you would like to add a melanurus and a chrysus right?
Melanurus and yellow coris are the two I really want. But I'd like to have some good show piece wrasses as well. Since the Melanurus and yellow coris is all I need for pest control. Which I've never had any pest in my system I just like the idea of having them incase some was to get in.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus and yellow coris are the two I really want. But I'd like to have some good show piece wrasses as well. Since the Melanurus and yellow coris is all I need for pest control. Which I've never had any pest in my system I just like the idea of having them incase some was to get in.
Look up some fairy and flasher wrasse you like, and we can discuss which ones you would like to add. You can also post in the Wrasse Lovers Thread and we’d be happy to help there as well.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up some fairy and flasher wrasse you like, and we can discuss which ones you would like to add. You can also post in the Wrasse Lovers Thread and we’d be happy to help there as well.
Here's some ideas that I like. McCosker's flasher wrasse, Cirrhilabrus rubeus, Orangeback fairy-wrasse, leopard wrasse. I'd like to be able to stay on a cheaper side and not crazy expensive.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some ideas that I like. McCosker's flasher wrasse, Cirrhilabrus rubeus, Orangeback fairy-wrasse, leopard wrasse. I'd like to be able to stay on a cheaper side and not crazy expensive.
These are all great ideas and possible additions. However I would pass on the Orange Back as it will be a bully towards smaller wrasse like the McCosker or rubeus. You could still add the Orangeback it’s just you would be a little restricted on what wrasse you add that aren’t Halichoeres or Leopards.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male usually has the green and red stripes on its face, and I think the female looks more like a Juvie
Both have green and red stripes on face =). One is full yellow, the other has white belly. Both were sold to me as yellow coris so I didn't know they are different species. Maybe that's why they get along? But I also seen tanks with 3-4 full yellow coris and no territorial issues.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back