Mixing Vinegar / Vodka with 2 part

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently bolus dosing a mixture of Vinegar and Vodka once a day. I'm also dosing 2 part with a dosing pump. I'd like to be able to automate and spread out the carbon dosing, so I'm considering adding the vinegar/vodka mix to the 2 part alk container. Primarily I want to make sure the carbon dosing continues while I'm away for vacation. Are there any concerns or problems adding the mixture to the alk solution (I'm using b-ionic). I'm thinking the high pH should prevent bacterial growth and also have the added benefit of keeping any pH swings from the vinegar to a minimum. But I'm not sure how well they would mix, and if there would be an issue with density of the solutions causing one to settle to the bottom of the container.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only possible issue is if you add too much vodka to the solution there might be some precipitate as the two part ingredients will be less soluble in an ethanol/water mix than water alone.

If you do not see a precipitate, the solutions will be fine.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but some CO2 will be lost when bicarbonate react with acetic acid forming sodium acetate and that will cause reducing of potency of the alk part? I think adding vodka/vinegar mix to the container with calcium chloride is better decision, because calcium chloride is soluble in alcohol too.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I've just tried to mix some vodka /vinegar with calcium choride/magnesium chloride and it is OK, no precipitate, clear solution.
But when mixed with sodium carbonate, solution become milky and form quite big amount of whitish precipitate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but some CO2 will be lost when bicarbonate react with acetic acid forming sodium acetate and that will cause reducing of potency of the alk part? I think adding vodka/vinegar mix to the container with calcium chloride is better decision, because calcium chloride is soluble in alcohol too.

FWIW, you won't lose alkalinity. You'll make sodium acetate, which is a perfectly good alk supplement (like Salifert's All In One). When the acetate is metabolized you get back all of the carbonate alkalinity.

But forming a precipitate isn't desirable. The alk part is already near its solubility limit, so using the calcium part is likely a better way to go. :)

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mixing the vinegar/vodka in with the calcium part seems to work well. I only added the vinegar/vodka to calcium solution at ratio of about 3%, though. No clouding since adding it, and calcium levels have been consistent.

Back