Mobius for gen 4

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my gen 4 pros say they have mobius ,when i log on to them with the computer .does mobius work yet for the gen 4 ?

Mobius only works for Versa and G5 currently. Still a month or 2 for it to add what is labeled as 'legacy' equiptment. Lots of threads about it here.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed my gen 4 pros say they have mobius ,when i log on to them with the computer .does mobius work yet for the gen 4 ?
Quickest way is to download the Mobius app on your phone and see if it sees your lights. If they have the chip I would think they will work.

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quickest way is to download the Mobius app on your phone and see if it sees your lights. If they have the chip I would think they will work.

Gen 4. I see they say compability mobius ready on ecotech live. But I don't see them on my phone through mobius yet. I don't know if i should be able to see them through bluetooth alone. It's all confusing right now. I bought then about 3 weeks ago new.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they put all the effort into the doser and the G5's but hopefully other support will happen soon. My pump I don't really need control but I would like to see if the app works better for my MP40's than Apex.

And yeah with the phone app its Bluetooth only right now and you have to be standing pretty close. Even at that had a few BT connection issues when I was setting up.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legacy gear might see mobius support some day. Since none of my legacy gear has support I’m reluctant to buy any new Ecotech gear. I don’t want to bounce from one app to another. I bought all Ecotech in the first place to minimize multiple apps for everything.

So for now, no G5s for me.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going from Gen4 with a reef link to Gen5 with the Mobius App, I think the reef link was so much easier. Plus the Mobius app is bluetooth so forget about being out of range and being able to control the tank.

OP
OP
charliethetuna

charliethetuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 4. I see they say compability mobius ready on ecotech live. But I don't see them on my phone through mobius yet. I don't know if i should be able to see them through bluetooth alone. It's all confusing right now. I bought then about 3 weeks ago new.
I'm in the exact same boat

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legacy gear might see mobius support some day. Since none of my legacy gear has support I’m reluctant to buy any new Ecotech gear. I don’t want to bounce from one app to another. I bought all Ecotech in the first place to minimize multiple apps for everything.

So for now, no G5s for me.

I rather feel the same way. Not sure it’ll be worth it for me to upgrade all my lights for mobius (nine of them, none möbius ready). Since gen5 won’t be backwards compatible with reeflink/ESL, that adds yet another interface. Eventually my gen4s will fail, maybe then I’ll be ready for gen7.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech discounted the Mobius chip to $20 at their store.

If you have a ton of devices that need upgrading, I suggest you contact Ecotech directly about purchasing multiple chips.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s really not. If your lights say mobius ready on ESL it means they have the correct wireless card to eventually work with möbius, but ETM has to then add gen4 to mobius.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really not. If your lights say mobius ready on ESL it means they have the correct wireless card to eventually work with möbius, but ETM has to then add gen4 to mobius.

You are right. If they say Mobius Ready, no further upgrade is needed. Just need to wait for them to unlock the control in Mobius in the next month or 2.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech discounted the Mobius chip to $20 at their store.

If you have a ton of devices that need upgrading, I suggest you contact Ecotech directly about purchasing multiple chips.

Yeah, I saw that, and I think that is a good move on their part. It says only for vortech and Vectra though. All depends, I suppose, on whether there are any additional capabilities in mobius that are not In ESL to make the switch worthwhile .... and of course how long they continue to host ESL.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw that, and I think that is a good move on their part. It says only for vortech and Vectra though. All depends, I suppose, on whether there are any additional capabilities in mobius that are not In ESL to make the switch worthwhile .... and of course how long they continue to host ESL.

The chip is for all devices, not just Vortech and Vectra.

They are going to continue support ongoing until people stop using it. There are no plans to stop supporting ESL. I would not be worried about it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chip is for all devices, not just Vortech and Vectra.

Then they should fix that on the website LOL.

They are going to continue support ongoing until people stop using it. There are no plans to stop supporting ESL. I would not be worried about it.

I meant the comment somewhat tongue in cheek .... though eventually usage will decline to the point that it’s no longer worth keeping ESL running. Somebody, somewhere will be out of luck.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then they should fix that on the website LOL.

I meant the comment somewhat tongue in cheek .... though eventually usage will decline to the point that it’s no longer worth keeping ESL running. Somebody, somewhere will be out of luck.

Very true. Same can be said for any technology at some point though. I am sure it will eventually come to end of life. The G3 is 6 years old already and easily/cheaply upgradable. I would be satisfied if they pushed another 4-5 years of Reeflink support before end of life.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything changed regarding mobius and Gen4? Been looking at used Gen4 Pro lights and one chap swears he's using mobius on his Gen4 pro lights. I'm inclined to think he may be confusing mobius with reeflink/ESL …. or maybe he's a hacker wiz (or a beta tester).

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything changed regarding mobius and Gen4? Been looking at used Gen4 Pro lights and one chap swears he's using mobius on his Gen4 pro lights. I'm inclined to think he may be confusing mobius with reeflink/ESL …. or maybe he's a hacker wiz (or a beta tester).

Still no official date announced.

He is probably a beta tester like myself.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One thing is certain, he’s not like the rest of us. Cause Mobius is still vapor ware to us regular G4 users. LOL

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back