Mobius vs Reeflink

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

cocolococo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i buy the new versa dosing pump.

What do we do with reeflink? Bin it and upgrade all old mps &vortech pumps RF module to newer module so i don't have to use two different app?

Just bought reeflink year ago lol.

jim_fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont think everything is upgradeable
though i hope so as the reeflink is the weak link in their kit
though with 9 lights, 4 vortechs & 2 vectras the upgrade might not be cheap

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently Mobis doesn’t work with anything other than the pumps. So presently you need both.

My reeflink is only 6 mo old if that helps you feel better.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont think everything is upgradeable
though i hope so as the reeflink is the weak link in their kit
though with 9 lights, 4 vortechs & 2 vectras the upgrade might not be cheap
If you open Reeflink on a PC, you can see what devices are Mobis ready.

Sorry, I meant on EcoSmart Live.

Go to the Devices section
click on the i with the circle around it.
image.jpg

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Ecotech mentioned they started sending out products, Vectras, Vortechs etc with the chip already installed in them around the end of 2018. So if you purchased yours after that point, the product is already ready for Mobius. If you purchased anything prior to that they are not chip ready therefor you would have to buy and install it yourself when they become available....

#1Fellowreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just an FYI for now the Mobius is ONLY going to work with the Versa but YES in the future with the updates and upgrades software and or hardware mods will allows most of the recent products to work with Mobius. If you know who Deven from Reefdudes is watch his recent videos and will tell you what all will work with Mobius.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be awesome if all their tech eventually was controllable by Mobius

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that ecotech has a controller brain in the works. All of my stuff is mobius ready. Both mp40s, all three xr15s and my m2. They would not of outfitted the last year and halfs worth of equipment to not have something in the works. I have not purchased a dosing system yet and i guess since i am already an ecotech fan boy i might as well go with the versa when it comes even though at this point i dont really dose anything daily except reef energy. Since that has to be refrigerated i have to do that by hand anyhow. I wonder what expensive toy mobius rollout will bring. And i cant wait to justify why i need it.

MaxFlow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that ecotech has a controller brain in the works.......
I can believe that. Having dosing pumps that cannot be individually stopped in case of emergency (e.g. PH increase) seems like a major shortcoming. Controller would definitely address this need. Saying that, I think to compete with Apex and GHL, they must have automated KH measurement at initial release.

I wish Maxspect came up with their own controller and dosing pumps. I like their out of the box thinking and delivering true innovation.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can believe that. Having dosing pumps that cannot be individually stopped in case of emergency (e.g. PH increase) seems like a major shortcoming. Controller would definitely address this need. Saying that, I think to compete with Apex and GHL, they must have automated KH measurement at initial release.

I wish Maxspect came up with their own controller and dosing pumps. I like their out of the box thinking and delivering true innovation.

I don't think they have to have KH at the initial release. Many people already have Vortechs and Radion lights. I suspect that many people will also be investing in Versa dosing pumps also. If your that far invested into their product line then you will probably be looking at a Ecotech Marine controller and a Vectra pump to tie all four areas together. I am also assuming that they are going to be encrypting all their control data going forward. So that means if you probably get a mid to late 2020 Vortech pump or Radion light it might not work with Apex/GHL/Aquatronica Ecotech modules. Then it will be a question of what are you willing to give up to stay on which platform.

Last edited:

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you open up their hardware you will see that each device has an RF daughterboard in them. The older items only have the RF setup which can easily be backed by taking one of these chips and using RPi to control it. Mobius used BLE which also is easy to detect and hack; download a BLE scanner for your phone and you will find their devices in seconds.

For those of us who recall when Vortechs were not wireless, this is what you could do...buy the upgrade and put this card in the controller and bingo all set.

Older devices do not how the BLE chip and those are the ones you see as any state by "ready" on ESL. My hunch is they will see upgraded daughterboards to put in those older devices because I moved a new one to an old controller and it worked fine.

If you take the next leap: the reeflink is the "someday" remote access feature they talk about. It will lieky work exactly like it does today: a push hole in your NAT to some outside server (like ESL) and then reeflink transmits over BLE instead of the proprietary RF it does now.

The real shame in all this fancy tech is that none of it is easy to control and there are no APIs or anything. I've spend days hacking their systems and chips just to be able to do a feed mode from my custom controller. It is a real disappointment how closed their hardware and software is. All they'd have to do is open up local REST access to the reeflink and all of this would go away and controllers would be able to connect and control easily.

Part of me is hoping this is all true because I have 2 reeflinks and one taken all apart. It is kind of an ingenious little thing nowhere near 100$ in hardware. Probably about 25$ at most. They's be better off just selling an add on to RPi in USB form that I and other custom controller types can use or move to ZWave. Or even just publish the BLE specs instead of having to make people hack about trying to get it all to work.

As for the dosing pumps; they are a pretty good deal if you look at the cost of making that all yourself (about 120$) but the difference is I can log in and control the brains out of mine and link is up however I want. I keep thinking who the heck wants to do all this setup and config on a phone? I dont.

So my hope is they kind of cut it out and open this thing up so people can use the 1...2...5k$ of equipment how they want.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back