Modifying Cheap Protein Skimmer > H.O.B?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang - realized I should have posted this here instead of 'new to salt water' forum - sorry!!!
------------------------

Hey Guys!
Reaching out to get some input on this idea I have for modifying a cheap protein skimmer I bought.
(Don't kill me, it was only $40 and going to test it during the cycle, see if it operates okay. Heavily mixed reviews) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LYWTSYM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So of course - not knowing how they worked, I read "hang on" and thought COOL! THATS WHAT i WANT! From a bit (lot) of research now, I've come to the conclusion it's hang-on-inside (right?).

Personally, I prefer on the back (personal preference & doesn't require me modifying the lid. 55gal)

Now assuming the very bottom of the vortex chamber is closed & not open (unit comes in tomorrow), I came up with this modification for the unit to turn it into a HOB filter (no sump, in main display)

Would this work??? Have the pump in the bottom of the tank, main unit on the back (cut the tube short & add an air valve as many people in the reviews have), then connect the pump to the main unit via clear 1" tubing, and get a bit of hose to extend the output back into the tank.

From the pump to the main unit IS where the water enters, correct?

Thanks for viewing & giving your input guys! Figure for $40, and a few $ on tube, why not mess with it during cycle time & no fish :D. Pretty powerful pump I hear!

Edit: Would turn the pump on it's side as well, should have corrected that in the drawing)

6Na3ZcPYc8gb4hw1jaafXPbRqDXHf.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tutmatt3, tutmatt3, tutmatt3,
Please take my advice.
Send it back to amazon ASAP and get your money back.
It's just that bad. It's already a terrible performance design. After you hack it up it's only going to perform worse!
Next time you want to toss 40 bucks, sent it my way.
Also never and I mean never buy a skimmer from Amazon. Pleazzzzze

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig all equipment experiments, but hopefully you aren't burning a limited budget for your real protein skimmer when the time comes. ;) Shopping used is definitely the best way to save money on a skimmer.

Consider:
DOC Skimmer 9004 DC ($197) If you're planning a heavy stocking density you might want something bigger. Otherwise this is a nice skimmer. Magnetically mounted inside the tank with a footprint that's only about 4" square.
Comline® Reefpack 250 ($213) It gives you the AC powered 9004 skimmer, plus a media filter which can also hide your heater and ATO sensor. Handy!

Either of these will be better than what you have by a mile, though are still considered a little undersized for a typical "jammed full mixed reef" 55 Gallon.

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I bought this exact same one and it performed just as good as what's on the market today. The pump they send is power about 2,000 GPH unless they changed it at least that was the pump I received years ago. If this is going into your sump and not your tank them it won't hurt to try the modifications. Sometimes user error make products a bad experience. I've had good luck with this unit.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do try this I would also drill a hole towards the top of the cup and run a hose back to the tank for the emergency overflow in case the cup overflows and you arent around to empty it. Otherwise when it overflows it will spill out and make a mess

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the amazing input!!!

If you do try this I would also drill a hole towards the top of the cup and run a hose back to the tank for the emergency overflow in case the cup overflows and you arent around to empty it. Otherwise when it overflows it will spill out and make a mess
Very nice tip, thanks! If i drill it towards the bottom - then best to have it lead into a 5-gallon bucket, vs if i drill it to the top - it'll be for overflow scenarios only, correct?
When I drill & add the tube, any tips? Should I seal the hole w/ anything?

Actually, I bought this exact same one and it performed just as good as what's on the market today. The pump they send is power about 2,000 GPH unless they changed it at least that was the pump I received years ago. If this is going into your sump and not your tank them it won't hurt to try the modifications. Sometimes user error make products a bad experience. I've had good luck with this unit.
Nice! Wasn't expecting too many to have the same unit. Are you still using it from years ago?? Did you experience any problems & did you have to modify yours at all? (air valve, heighty, etc)
It will be going into the main tank, but will have the unit in for a solid month before any fish are added

I dig all equipment experiments, but hopefully you aren't burning a limited budget for your real protein skimmer when the time comes. ;) Shopping used is definitely the best way to save money on a skimmer.

Consider:
DOC Skimmer 9004 DC ($197) If you're planning a heavy stocking density you might want something bigger. Otherwise this is a nice skimmer. Magnetically mounted inside the tank with a footprint that's only about 4" square.
Comline® Reefpack 250 ($213) It gives you the AC powered 9004 skimmer, plus a media filter which can also hide your heater and ATO sensor. Handy!

Either of these will be better than what you have by a mile, though are still considered a little undersized for a typical "jammed full mixed reef" 55 Gallon.
Thank you very much for the links & recommendations!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the unit came in today. Actually takes up A LOT less room than I would have imagined. Might just cut a hole in the canopy instead of trying to find a way to make it function how it wasn't made to function.
Plus that way it'll be safer than potentially leaking all over the ground.

Will let you guys know how it operates once I got water in the tank next week!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back