Modular Marine Reviews?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Working with Brian at Modular Marine on figuring out custom sized box and hole placement.

Very responsive with his replies, so far its all good.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MM was slow at first to respond, but he was way behind on order.

He needs some videos for better clarification for newcomers. Product is solid though. The ghost overflow drain are very close to each other so you have to get a flat drain on the primary if you want your emergency drain to not be in the middle.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hasn't seen water yet but I'm cutting the standpipes as we speak, the cementing up the last of my plumbing and it's off to the races!

I'll try to remember to report back in a couple days with the initial performance report (which since it's my first time, may take a bit of tweaking to perfect).

Modular Marine ABSOLUTELY needs more detailed instructions. For example, possible configurations for bean animal plumbing since the norm doesn't fit, general lengths for the standpipes, any idea of where the water level will be in relation to the overflow box/bulkhead/standpipes placement, where the two gaskets go.... seriously... They need to check out Synergys Shadow overflow instructions, take notes, and step up their instruction game.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so for you guys that got a MM oveflow how do you like it now its been a while?

It works fine and has been running. I would have avoided a ton of drama if they provided the 2 sets of gaskets from the start. If they give you 2 pairs gaskets from the start you will be fine. If not - I would go with syngery instead for peace of mind.

Vague instructions are provided. But it’s not so bad figuring out what to do. The main issue is cutting the holes and figuring out the bean animal piping mostly.

I used a flat drain for the primary and two street elbows for the secondary. Drilled a hole in the top of the secondary and was god to go. Primary is the middle drain due to the configuration of the holes in the overflow.

I also would think about replacing the bulkheads with lifegards. Lifegards bulkheads are better

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems here. Love my MM overflow and the customer service is there too!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Modular Marine ghost overflow because of its solid and sturdy acrylic construction. I had the Synergy Shadow but ended up selling it. The injection molded construction just felt a bit flimsy to me. I thought there seemed to be a good bit of flex with the exterior box.

Apparently, Brian at Modular Marine has been listening as there seems to be a new hole layout in the exterior boxes to allow for more room for plumbing.

DA9881FA-95C8-4903-B450-6E44B828DE0D.jpeg

Last edited:

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were lifesavers for me. I have bought their sump kits and I was stupid and wanted to save $15 and bought an Eshopps overflow. I drilled wrong, so I had them custom make me a weir to fit the box. They did an excellent job. Good turnaround for a custom job.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Water Dog do you still need a 2nd set of gaskets? a while back in the thread he said they where including them.
I just don't want a leaking overflow I been there done that with a glass holes that no mater what I did I could not get it to stop leaking.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, not really. Although call me crazy or OCD, but I actually have six gaskets altogether for my set up. :D How I have mine set up is I have a set between the tank and the external box (which are the critical ones) and a set on the flange of the two bulkheads inside the tank. My MM overflow is the version with the removable internal weir box. I also have a set, one on each lower corner of the exterior box, essentially set up like spacers to prevent the exterior box from torquing from the weight of the plumbing.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Spoke to few different reps at recent RAP in NY and everyone said one gasket is needed, it goes between the tank and the external box. Whatever water leaks out of the tank it travels the threads of the bulkhead straight to the external box; now it totally makes sense.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back