Modular Marine Reviews?

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Modular Marine ghost overflow because of its solid and sturdy acrylic construction. I had the Synergy Shadow but ended up selling it. The injection molded construction just felt a bit flimsy to me. I thought there seemed to be a good bit of flex with the exterior box.

Apparently, Brian at Modular Marine has been listening as there seems to be a new hole layout in the exterior boxes to allow for more room for plumbing.

DA9881FA-95C8-4903-B450-6E44B828DE0D.jpeg
I'm so bummed they didn't think of this sooner. This new layout could have solved all my problems.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from another thread I participated in, check it out. Mind you I upgraded from 3/4” uniseals to 1” bulkheads in the 1200 gph ghost overflow.

This is the overflow box that I got. The craftsmanship is excellent. Originally I bought a Synergy Reef Shadow, but unfortunately, at 16", it was too wide to fit my AP700 arms. I must say the the acrylic Modular Marine feels much more sturdy than the ABS molded Synergy.

https://modularmarine.com/collectio...-low-profile-overflow-box-with-removable-weir

I upgraded from three 3/4" uniseals on the bottom of the exterior box to three 1" bulkheads. Admittedly, that leaves space for the plumbing inside of the exterior of the box very tight.

I haven't drilled my tank yet so the protective adhesive paper is still on the overflow box
Overflow box 2

Acrylic lids come standard on both the internal and external box.
Overflow box 2

I will have it set up so that the going from left to right will be the main siphon, secondary drain and emergency drain. The emergency drain will drain into the skimmer section of the R-200. Because of the cramped quarters, the main siphon will just have a flat strainer.
Pipes

Here is the external box with the plumbing. I still have to drill the vent hole in the secondary drain elbow.
Exterior Box

The friction fit removable exterior box for cleaning and maintenance is a nice touch.
removable weir

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it’s an Eshopps Eclipse M overflow set up for a Herbie style system, but he uses it with a straight secondary trickle drain and it seems fairly quiet as well, so I’d imagine straight standpipes should work.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone run 3 standpipes for their bean animal? without any elbows.

It is fine to run these without U tubes or elbows. Latter do help to minimize vortex sucking air, but with careful height selection you'd be good.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from another thread I participated in, check it out. Mind you I upgraded from 3/4” uniseals to 1” bulkheads in the 1200 gph ghost overflow.
Hey! I participated in that thread as well. We have the exact same overflow. I’ve actually posted your photos in a thread on multiple occasions because I plan to do the same. I wanted to tag /credit you but I couldn’t for the life of me remember your username.

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the inner plumbing for the bean animal pvc lengths.

Mine are: 1) main - use plastic strainer right out of grommet. Could use 1 to 1 1/2" from grommet.
2) backup - just at top of inlet tubes or nuts. About 3 1/2 to 4"
3) emergency - about 1/2" from top

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back