modular marine vs. Eshopps overflow quality

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a Modular Marine overflow (1600gph) and I am so impressed by the quality that I wanted to share my thoughts. I currently run an Eshopps overflow, and I actually had to have the new Eshopps Prodigy overnighted from Amazon as a backup because I was worried the MM wouldn't arrive in time. The quality difference between the two is huge:

Modular Marine is hand-made from thick acrylic. The seams are glued with care (and with just a touch of excess glue along in the inner corners, exactly how I would do it to ensure a good seal). There are relief cuts where the acrylic is bent. There is a 2nd row of overflow teeth cut into the back of the internal box, giving you bonus surface skimming. The entire internal box is removable - it pushes straight into the bulkheads with slip fit PVC. MM also gives you a notch which lets the external box overlap with the tank's trim - this lets you run a higher water level in the external box, reducing noise and helping you full siphon start every time.

The Eshopps Prodigy L is flimsy in comparison, especially the internal box. Mine actually arrived cracked, which is Amazon's fault for not packaging it well, but thicker plastic would have survived. Another huge problem IMO is the removable weir is just a faceplate with teeth cutouts, which you place over a big rectangular hole in the internal box. When the power goes out for hours, water will leak around the edges of the faceplate, and drain your tank to the bottom edge of the faceplate, which could be about 0.5-1 inch below the bottom of the teeth cutouts. This could flood your sump.

djhuth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The external box should not be lower than the internal box. Modular Marine has this figured out. And the whole internal box can come out? Wow, think I'm sold on the 1200 for my 90g and maybe design something for my 210 once I check out the product.

idiotsavant3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a Modular Marine overflow (1600gph) and I am so impressed by the quality that I wanted to share my thoughts. I currently run an Eshopps overflow, and I actually had to have the new Eshopps Prodigy overnighted from Amazon as a backup because I was worried the MM wouldn't arrive in time. The quality difference between the two is huge:

Modular Marine is hand-made from thick acrylic. The seams are glued with care (and with just a touch of excess glue along in the inner corners, exactly how I would do it to ensure a good seal). There are relief cuts where the acrylic is bent. There is a 2nd row of overflow teeth cut into the back of the internal box, giving you bonus surface skimming. The entire internal box is removable - it pushes straight into the bulkheads with slip fit PVC. MM also gives you a notch which lets the external box overlap with the tank's trim - this lets you run a higher water level in the external box, reducing noise and helping you full siphon start every time.

The Eshopps Prodigy L is flimsy in comparison, especially the internal box. Mine actually arrived cracked, which is Amazon's fault for not packaging it well, but thicker plastic would have survived. Another huge problem IMO is the removable weir is just a faceplate with teeth cutouts, which you place over a big rectangular hole in the internal box. When the power goes out for hours, water will leak around the edges of the faceplate, and drain your tank to the bottom edge of the faceplate, which could be about 0.5-1 inch below the bottom of the teeth cutouts. This could flood your sump.
With the removable weir the internal weir is just a slip fit design. Guess what happens when you don't use cement on slip fit pvc fittings? They leak. So during extended power outages your D/T could drain down to the bottom of the opening of the through tank bulkhead. Which could be 3.5" or more.
IMO the removable weir is a design flaw that will end in disaster for some

OP
OP
R

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to cement mine in place, so I completely agree with you. But if I had a really big sump I wouldn’t have needed to.

OP
OP
R

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add that the slip fitting is actually quite tight, and may not actually leak at all with only a few inches of head pressure. Also, the e shopps removable intake grate creates the same issue, but with no way to glue it to seal it. I feel the glued modular marine is the most secure option out there.

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MM is what i chose for my build no complaints , looked to be more sturdy than eshopps.

no complaints with eshopps sump i have either.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back