Moes 150 build In the Works (with Pics)

FishManMoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, So I have been lurking for years from site to site from reefsactuary, reef2reef, manhattanreefs, reefcentral, reefbuilders, 3reef, and thereeftank and I have finally decided to share some tank shots and experiences for all its worth. But first a little bit about myself: my name is Moe and I have been a freshwater keeper for about 7 years prior to taking the dive to saltwater. My first purchase to startup salt was a 150 tank used (tank was made in 2008). I made this purchase about a year and a half ago and kept it running at the bare minimum as it originally came with a fx5 canister filter :)squigglemouth:bleh) and seaclone skimmer :)squigglemouth:double bleh). I instantly made a makeshift DIY 20 gallon sump and ran it that way with the 2 fish that came with the tank in it. These 2 fish are still alive and are in my tank till this day, they are a Convict Tang name Mike which I love and a Domino Damsel name Martin. Name after my friends who helped me move the established tank. I kept wondering when will I upgrade and about a year later I did. and here is a list from what I had, to what it became:

Metal rusted stand-AGA wooden cabinet.

FX5-20 gallon sump- Trigger systems RUBY39S (custom sump about 45 gallons).

No return-mag3-mag5-mag12.

2 hamilton T8 Fixtures-72" Nova extreme Pro ATI and KZ bulbs

Seaclone-unknown brand with mag5 fractioning pump which pulls about 1 liter of dark thick skimmate every week (still need to upgrade to a custom EV240 to fit my stand with mag18).

Random powerheads- 2 koralia 4's- 2 Vortech MP40WES.

Old sand bed which i kept for a year (big mistake ill probably tell you all about it later in this thread,boy it was a hassle breakdown and 2 months of waiting)-280 lbs of clean pink samoa sand which is establishing itself from the live rock.

So far I've only spent 1700 dollars on my saltwater hobby and as you can see these upgrade were significant. After all of this I recently felt about a month ago that everything is stable enough to add fish/corals. So recently I made some additions but first a pic of Mike the survivor

Queens-20110626-00015.jpg

All pics do not do my fish justice as they are taken with a blackberry phone and my photography skills are mediocre at best:wink:. This guy was living in 300 trates:crossedlips: when i first got him from his tank wipe out from the previous owner. sadly I have yet to get a picture of Martin but hes an ordinary healthy Domino Damsel use your imagination. The Paracanthurus tang named Dory (sorry couldn't resist, its behavior was too quirky not to name it that) was received about 2 months ago from a tank breakdown from my job. Oh did I forget to mention I maintain tanks as a job. So my first recent pickup from my supplier was a beautiful Sailfin Tang and heres his pic:

IMG-20110706-00039.jpg

I guess its time for some tank shots and please let me know what you think of the rockwork as I have limited Live rock:neutral:

DSCN2082.jpg

That was a Phone pic now here is a camera pic. please excuse the flash.

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2071.jpg

With the Sailfin added I decided to try my hand at Zoos as the starter coral and from my wholesale supplier I got an unidentified colony fresh from Austrailia, so if anyone has an ID please let me know. Once again sorry for bad pics.

DSCN2078.jpg

DSCN2077.jpg

DSCN2076.jpg

DSCN2075.jpg

And the zoa island Rockwork as a whole with a frag of Magicians at the top

DSCN2072.jpg

I guess I can share sump Pics later and elaborate on what I did for that minimal year and a half. Let me know what you guys think and please be nice as this is my first write up of anything. And feel free to shoot me a PM or ask me any questions...Peace.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start Moe. I think your live rock looks great, the minimal look is cool right now. I have a soft spot for convict tangs, one of my favs.

OP
OP
F

FishManMoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start Moe. I think your live rock looks great, the minimal look is cool right now. I have a soft spot for convict tangs, one of my favs.
Thanks for the kind words. As you can tell I have a thing for tangs. Still want to add one more from the Ctenochaetus Family. Probably a Yellow Eye Kole tang. Then I'll be maxed on tangs as My tank is not big enough to house a Naso tang. As it is, 3 tangs is pushing a 150 let alone 4. Still working on my coral and fish list. So far I've compiled of must corals for me and here it is so far.
Hammer coral
Rose bubble tip anemone
Icefire Echinata
Montipora Capricornus
Montipora Digitata
leather mushroom
discosoma mushroom
a clam probably a crocea (not a coral obviously)

I'm still trying to compile this list and I am open to any fish and coral suggestions.

OP
OP
F

FishManMoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway I think its time to show the filtration under the tank so here it is:
Please keep in mind that I had just cleaned my skimmer the previous day and as I was fiddling to try to get it to stop splashing from the output of the skimmer, I accidentally blocked the output so it overflowed and flowed into the cup and external collection container, diluting and dirt that was there after the 24 hour period of skimming

DSCN2134.jpg

This is my custom sump built by trigger systems. Its based on the Ruby36S but its 39 inches long hence Ruby39S. In it contains 2 filter socks, the skimmer, GFO reactor run by a modded maxijet 1200 (compliments of seaclone lol), 8 bags of chemi pure elite, a fuge with somr rock and chato and martin my domino damsel, and a backup 25 watt uv sterilizer that's plumbed from and to return but is not on, and a mag12 return.

Heres Martin the domino also one of the survivors of the previous tank

DSCN2125.jpg

DSCN2129.jpg

He is right now in my refugium for reasons of being an aggressor to my hippo tang (its a long story as to why he is actually there with a bunch of switch ups which I might get into later in this thread).

OP
OP
F

FishManMoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much has changed since i last posted. Only the right column of the rock work was reworked and heres a pic of it.

Queens-20111029-00099.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back