OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hoXUweJkchm9FlKuj5GbaGMZaacuovGD67gDpbQrShSHXviuB-4lMa-aW5uP9NwYL2guHlkp0mXP-ZJqd6j1JRZBuEKWoqAmS5475JHH7WO5SFzXPH3L35vibhF8qFiTETSBG-ch

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is pretty docile, but I don’t have it with any small fish so I’m not sure how that would work out. They do seem even blinder than most eels so mine bites my other fish accidentally at feeding time a lot, might be a problem with small fish. The things I’d be most concerned about is tank size and feeding, they are much more active than most eels and spend a good amount of time swimming laps around the tank. Because of this I really wouldnt feel comfortable keeping one in anything smaller than a 75. But if you do decide to get one make sure it’s eating before you buy it, they are famous for not eating. I bought mine when he was already eating at the lfs, and he hasn’t been much of a problem except for a period when I first got him where he’d only eat live food.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine is pretty docile, but I don’t have it with any small fish so I’m not sure how that would work out. They do seem even blinder than most eels so mine bites my other fish accidentally at feeding time a lot, might be a problem with small fish. The things I’d be most concerned about is tank size and feeding, they are much more active than most eels and spend a good amount of time swimming laps around the tank. Because of this I really wouldnt feel comfortable keeping one in anything smaller than a 75. But if you do decide to get one make sure it’s eating before you buy it, they are famous for not eating. I bought mine when he was already eating at the lfs, and he hasn’t been much of a problem except for a period when I first got him where he’d only eat live food.
I figured feeding would be a problem so I have live guppies breeding.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah guppies are fine, mine prefers ghost shrimp for some reason though. Just make sure he has enough room to swim around, I’d imagine they could get more aggressive if they feel cramped.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah guppies are fine, mine prefers ghost shrimp for some reason though. Just make sure he has enough room to swim around, I’d imagine they could get more aggressive if they feel cramped.
Plenty of swimming room I was ore worried there wouldn't be enough hiding places.

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean the one you got at home depot. For the chaeto. Also, I’d QT the eel in a 20g with large sections of white PVC and a HOB filter and seachems cupramine. Just to be safe.
Oh I have no idea I'll ask my dad what light it is when he gets home. I have a 10gl QT tank and a 20gl observation tank. And plenty of pvc.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I have no idea I'll ask my dad what light it is when he gets home. I have a 10gl QT tank and a 20gl observation tank. And plenty of pvc.
Awesome! And yeah I would despite what some others in this thread have said, QT the eel. ONLY use seachem cupramine. It’s the best copper for sensitive species like eels

OP
OP
MombasaLionfish

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back