Monster eight stage RODI creation

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after carrying jugs of RODI from my LFS, which lately has been far to often, I decided to get my own system.
I have a few caveats;
I rent.
L.A. has chloramine
My area has high silicates.
Because we are in a drought I needed to make the water in a very efficient way so that meant a booster pump and and extra RO stage.
Oh, and it had to fit under the bathroom sink.
This is what I came up with!
Two NOS Aquamaxx Puratek 4 stage,
A 8800 Aquatec pump w/ auto shut off
HM Duel TDS
800 flow flush valve
Secondary flush valve that flushes just the pre filters.
Misc. tubing and John Guest bits.
Total cost around $360 bucks and a day of frustration.
still waiting for the 8th stage to arrive, the Anion filter. Since the filter already came with mixed beds DI, will probably use that until the first one gets depleted then go with a Anion, Cation, mixed setup.
ECFDED1B-7F40-4AD6-A136-6BE6E896AA49.jpeg
E5BC05E3-16C8-4A03-BC79-D8625BC5B7FD.jpeg
67ED3AEA-C205-495E-959D-03D266194836.jpeg
ECFDED1B-7F40-4AD6-A136-6BE6E896AA49.jpeg
E5BC05E3-16C8-4A03-BC79-D8625BC5B7FD.jpeg
67ED3AEA-C205-495E-959D-03D266194836.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

And like you know depending on your water your setup can change. City not so much but it is nice to have the knowledge and capabilities to adapt.

Our well changes often so we had to install a mini city water system and then our rodi.

What you did is compact and will fit right under;)

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

And like you know depending on your water your setup can change. City not so much but it is nice to have the knowledge and capabilities to adapt.

Our well changes often so we had to install a mini city water system and then our rodi.

What you did is compact and will fit right under;)
I have a friend that just moved to WA. and is also on well water that is having fun also... I read an article about separating your pre filters from your RO or DI and having it go into a brute and then aerating that to get rid of Co2 but with a pipe at a 45 deg. or something like that. for the life of me I can not find that article again. Have you heard of such a thing?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a friend that just moved to WA. and is also on well water that is having fun also... I read an article about separating your pre filters from your RO or DI and having it go into a brute and then aerating that to get rid of Co2 but with a pipe at a 45 deg. or something like that. for the life of me I can not find that article again. Have you heard of such a thing?
Ya a buddy was trying some stuff with a similar setup and was getting close to a 1:2 ratio.

I was going to go that route but then decided to put in the system we did for the house. There is so much more in our well including colodial metals that we just decided to get the full system with chlorine injection and all. Only thing we didn't need was a tanin unit.

I think I'm at 3 sediment, 5 carbon, two RO, and 3 DI stages.
Ours is definitely overkill at this point but because the well changes so much and the addition of the chlorine that the culligan system adds I'd rather be redundant than let something slip by.

I'm just running 1 more mixed di than you and it's really just to calm my mind as I've had some serious issues due to our water.

For almost a year and a half we took a ferry and drove 4 hours round trip to get 100g of water a week.
20220821_160617.jpg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh that's nice!!! Have you seen the plumbing on my build thread?
Ferry? Whidbey?
Ya, it's a beautiful over here but the ferry has been a mess so getting on and off the island has become an all day event.

We live about 30 minutes from the ferry and the closest saltwater store we have is in Bellevue which is about 45 minutes off the ferry with 0 traffic...which never happens haha

So while the culligan system was being figured out and installed (I had to build a concrete platform and shed) we were getting water from saltwater city.

Still have to put the finishing touches on the walls and ceiling but this is what we had to end up going with. I ran RO tubing under the house and to the unit in the fish room.

20220222_170624.jpg

OP
OP
TangerineSpeedo

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ran my first 5 gallon jug of RODI today. It took less than 20 minutes! I kinda felt that was maybe too fast, but I was having 0 TDS the whole time. My tap water is about 500 TDS and after pre-filter it is about 49 TDS. Super happy about A. not having to carry water up the stairs and B. making salt water more than 5 gallons at a time. Just on a whim I measured my waste... 990! use that to make some Pasta... LOL

Back