Monthly fee to use lights!!!?!?!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you refuse the service, but the controller is required to operate lights, you may have the option to continue as is without any future updates. I can't imagine they will render existing customer's lights useless without it.

Let's ask.. Contact: [email protected]

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like going from a perpetual type of license to a cloud-based monthly fee. I think there should be a grandfathered exception for existing users.
They cant exclude existing users, cause there is not gonna be new users either, so who they will get the money from.

Either way I hope that legally they can't render a unit unusuable which had a fixed price in the past unless users start paying, there is no technical reason why application needs to use a server either.

If they do this I guess they can close the company as well, no one will buy any subscription lights in the next decades - especially now that some of the chinese lights are quite good as well.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I keep things simple. 21LEDUSA ReefBar Pro and ReefBars, with the SunSetter Control. No WiFi, no Bluetooth. Just a simple remote with a coin battery in it. Yes, the Control has Ramped Sunrise and Sunset. Will do cloudy day, Timed Moon. Will even do Thunderstorms. Has two Channels. Remembers it’s settings and time of day during power failures, and survived a drop to 60 volts. Plus I’ve dropped the Fixture into the Aquarium while powered up. No water entered the fixture. Still works over a year later.

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of when I bought a Skydrop WiFi sprinker controller. After about 3 years of use, I got a notification that they were going to charge monthly for the app. Users revolted and the company went out of business, basically bricking my controller.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This probably has something to do with the fact that NanoBox has been out of business for years.
I had to stop using my lights because there was no longer any support.
Bluefish kind of got stuck holding the bag on this one.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious, I can deal with obsolescence, and online ish... but man you gotta pay or your lights are effectively bricked. That sucks.
I run pretty much all red Sea lamps and wavemakers. If red sea pulled this, I would dump All of them at a loss and replace them with a company who doesn't think it's ok to change the game in the fourth inning.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response from bluefish,

Yes, I did send this email. Unfortunately, in order to continue providing the support and infrastructure for Bluefish, the only option is to start charging for the app. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Spencer

I have replied with a second that asked if I will lose all functionality unless paid for.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response from bluefish,

Yes, I did send this email. Unfortunately, in order to continue providing the support and infrastructure for Bluefish, the only option is to start charging for the app. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Spencer

I have replied with a second that asked if I will lose all functionality unless paid for.

Time to shop for a new light. They just put themselves out of business. What tank do you have? A Maxspect Jump or Jump Blue is inexpensive and fantastic. So many good lights out there right now.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second response regarding functionality.

Devices not connected to a subscription will continue to run on your set schedule. A subsciption will be required for app access and weather simulation.

Spencer

So basically the light is bricked and you can’t adjust anything. Time for a new light.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second response regarding functionality.

Devices not connected to a subscription will continue to run on your set schedule. A subsciption will be required for app access and weather simulation.

Spencer
In other words " No, you'll be able to keep your same settings, UNLESS you turn them off, unplug them, need to update your schedule and so on. Then you're screwed. Give me more money"

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words " No, you'll be able to keep your same settings, UNLESS you turn them off, unplug them, need to update your schedule and so on. Then you're screwed. Give me more money"
Exactly right! This is total garbage! And whose to say that 2.99 is enough and it goes up to $50 a month. He is in total control.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back