Monti bleaching. Is it able to be saved?

Vondy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this monti in the tank for about 90 days. Noticed about 2 weeks ago the edges started turning brown and slowly bleeching. All my parameters seem to be in check besides my alk did take a radical drop from 10.5 to 8.8 in only about 6 days last week, accidentally dosed to much. Steady at 8.8 now. Not sure if that would do it or not, new to reefing tank is about 4 months old and this was my 1st SPS. PAR is about 230
Cal - 440
Mag -1350
No3 - 10
Alk - 8.8

I’ll attach a before and after photo

Any pointers would help. Thanks

IMG_0720.jpeg IMG_0994.jpeg IMG_1212.jpeg IMG_1207.jpeg

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that isn't bleaching. I've successfully bleached corals about 5 months ago :). Interestingly enough, I decided that I wasn't going to stress and all but one has come back by just keeping the parameters steady. I had one that looked like yours but it didn't take over the entire coral. I eventually cut away the dead tissue part of it and it is doing okay but, not great. I would just leave it where it is, keep stable parameters and see what happens. For me, when I chase after a result in my aquarium everything goes to Hell. When I just chill and be as hands off as possible, everything seems to go well.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have fish to feed, for maintenance of phosphate?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Green Monti has done similar and come back. Think mine was getting stung, but regardless, can come back from that type of damage/stress with proper care. I will leave advising you on that care to others who know better than me haha

OP
OP
V

Vondy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you dose too much of to drop alk from 10.5 to 8.6?
brightwell aquatics reef code B. I was trying to raise my calcium but it must have shot my alk way too high. It was around 8.5, shot up to 10.5 and is now back down. I switched to B-ionic 2 part so I can dose the calcium separately now. Rookie mistake.

OP
OP
V

Vondy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Green Monti has done similar and come back. Think mine was getting stung, but regardless, can come back from that type of damage/stress with proper care. I will leave advising you on that care to others who know better than me haha
Good deal. Glad to know it might come back. Thanks.

OP
OP
V

Vondy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO that isn't bleaching. I've successfully bleached corals about 5 months ago :). Interestingly enough, I decided that I wasn't going to stress and all but one has come back by just keeping the parameters steady. I had one that looked like yours but it didn't take over the entire coral. I eventually cut away the dead tissue part of it and it is doing okay but, not great. I would just leave it where it is, keep stable parameters and see what happens. For me, when I chase after a result in my aquarium everything goes to Hell. When I just chill and be as hands off as possible, everything seems to go well.
Thanks for the tip. I’ll just keep an eye on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 153 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back