Monti eating nudis found on a new frag... ditch it?

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a plating monti today and upon dipping it noticed 2 nudis and a section of eggs on the underside. The frag is only a couple of inches in diameter. I removed it off the frag plug and scraped/brushed the entire underside of the piece... I don't have a coral quarantine and can't justify setting one up for a single coral. Is it better to just ditch the coral or any other suggestions?

Thanks

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased a plating monti today and upon dipping it noticed 2 nudis and a section of eggs on the underside. The frag is only a couple of inches in diameter. I removed it off the frag plug and scraped/brushed the entire underside of the piece... I don't have a coral quarantine and can't justify setting one up for a single coral. Is it better to just ditch the coral or any other suggestions?

Thanks

First remove the nudibranch, scrape all visible eggs then using super glue to coat the entire bottom of the frag. Oh then email the seller to tell him the bad news

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it came from a lfs I would take it back, show em the eggs and nudis and request a refund, if ya bought it online send em some nudis and eggs pics and request a refund. You could also take the cap off the plug and with a toothbrush scrub the underside of it really good, grab a magnifying glass and look closely at both sides of the cap for any remaining pests, and if your feeling confident you got em all, place it in the dt and check it every day for a couple weeks. I had to battle those suckers years ago and it took 3 months of pulling and checking all monti corals, if I saw one nudi or eggs i would pull it and hit it with a toothbrush, dip it then put it back. With all that said and knowing what I do now about those little suckers I would take pics, and get a refund for the frag then throw it away. If you don't go the refund route and unless your 100% sure there is not 1 egg or nudi left then you can put it in the dt, although I would rather just get a refund, pitch it and not have to do the work and forget about it.

Last edited:

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cant afford a QT tank, and I am not sure how any reefer couldnt, I would ditch it and take no chances of getting it in my display!!! Things like this is why you need to have a QT tank. A good one can be set up easily for less than 200 bucks. That sounds like a lot to spend I know but ask yourself this..."How much Money do I have invested in my display and how much would it cost me to kill off that tank and start all over"? I am willing to bet that 200 bucks on a QT tank aint all that pricey after all...not hating, just sayin'. I know the 200 I spent on my 6 gallon Cube, AC30, 100 Watt heater and A80 Tuna Blue light has been the smartest 200 bucks I have ever spent in the last 21 years I have been reefing!!!

Last edited:

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Donald Trump GIF by Creative Courage

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back