Monti ID

BTimms

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2021
Messages
482
Reaction score
296
Location
British Columbia
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this cupping type of monti today. The lfs thought it might be monti cap but it is cupping and quite smooth..... Any ideas on identification?

FF1FA944-6149-4CEF-A0E8-4264BDA15D93.jpeg 0E85E871-7D2E-4EF1-9B99-C592D5BD3897.jpeg 9ED454C9-3872-4896-A93B-E4089AF51BDE.jpeg
 
Looks like capricornis. I know I’ve seen somewhere a monti “cap” that cups instead of plates but that may just be an Enviromental factor effecting the way it grows. Could possibly be a different species I guess. Maybe someone who knows better could chime in.
 
The less defined, irregular coenosteum ridges makes me lean towards M. hodgsoni or foliosa.

M. capricornis doesn't have those "furrows" / coenosteum ridges.
 
Red monti cap. They grow based on the flow.
 
I think the
Red monti cap. They grow based on the flow.
I think the term " monti cap" should be discouraged from being used, there are over a dozen different species of montipora that whirl/plate and incorrectly identified as montipora capricornis/ "monti cap" in the hobby simply because of this growth form, but there are different morphological traits between each species such as verrucae, coenosteum ridges and papillae that are used to distinguish one species from another.
M. capricornis doesn't exhibit coenosteum ridges like OPs coral does.

I actually very rarely see actual real M. capricornis in the hobby, usually its M. florida, M. hodgsoni, M. filiosa, M. delictatula, M. aequituberculata etc etc.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new