Monti in distress

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noy sure what happened. Aclimated lower in tank, after about a week moved into place on rocks. Moderate flow, half way up tank and it wasn’t happy. Moved after several days, still not happy. Three days later back on rack. Too much light? Not enough light?
Water parameters good
34ppm
O nitrates
O phosphates
8.3 dKh
420 ca
8.0 ph
77.5-77.9 F
Using kalk in ato
Running 2 B+, 1 C+ 1 actinic 9 hrs

Happy pic first. Not happy today

C1C05C3E-7216-41BD-BDD7-7E6FFF788465.jpeg

1CEAA6DB-0F80-4B44-9893-12E7FE637320.jpeg

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Yeah I was surprised my nitrates have been like that for about two weeks. Feeding twice a day for fish, reef roids or reef chili twice a week for coral + 30 ml of ocean magic phyto nightly for new pods just added. Do have some algae which maybe uptaking it but not a major outbreak or anything.

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find my mystic monti likes a lot of flow and a fair amount of light (it's getting 250-300 par) You say you aclimated it recently, any idea on the water parameters from the tank you got it from. If the alk was off a few points it coudl just take some time to adjust.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.
I do not know the parameters of the host tank as I bought at a frag show. It just kinda freaked me out cuz it colored up in a couple of days and then after a week I moved it to the rockwork a little higher with more flow and it just closed up from there. Maybe moved it up a little faster than I should’ve or a little brighter than it was ready for. I. Will give it a few weeks to adjust again and then move a little slower. Just didn’t want to loose the little guy. Chalk it up to rookie error

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystic sunset monti is pretty resilient. I'm running halides and T5, it grows best on the bottom for me. Give it time, it should bounce back.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stuff grows like a weed for most folks. Don't sweat this too much, but continue to monitor further. This stuff (well, reverse superman, anyway) will grow under all the light that it can get... or near the bottom. I do not find it all that demanding.

Just put it where you want it - there is no bad spectrum in a 4 bulb T5 setup and it is definitely not too much light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back