Monti not growing

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a montipora spongodes about 6-7 weeks ago. Since I have had it, it has grown a bit (compared to some pictures I took). Today I noticed that the bottom was turning white.

The rest of it is still alive because the color looks good and I can see the polyps moving around.

I've seen some pictures of others and they are also white. I did glue it right on the rock if that matters. The water parameters are fine and I am getting good growth others.

I circled where it is in the tank. Maybe it needs to be moved up? I thought that Monti does not need much light.
ab0939414bd90b3865c341f56b42dca4.jpg
76404064e05030b20adea32e4b253be5.jpg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw mine having similar issues, gave it a dip, noticed nudis. So it looked like it was going down hill quick I dipped it in a triple dose of coral dip a few times and saved it, fast forward and it survived and has triples in size and the frags I took at the time are also growing at a good clip, Mine sure doesn't mind lots of light.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw mine having similar issues, gave it a dip, noticed nudis. So it looked like it was going down hill quick I dipped it in a triple dose of coral dip a few times and saved it, fast forward and it survived and has triples in size and the frags I took at the time are also growing at a good clip, Mine sure doesn't mind lots of light.
Wouldn't I see Nudis?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should, I didn't notice them till I pulled it to dip it and the underside had a nice group, I start checking at night here and ther after I found them.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may not be any problem at all. Don’t be too quick to harass a Coral just because it’s not growing fast enough for you. 7 weeks is a blink of an eye for a monti, they have to adjust to new surroundings and chemistry. Any growth is a very good sign of good health. Growth rates may increase with time. If you don’t have pest and still feel like it’s not responding well could try repositioning the coral in another area of the tank.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a small Frag years ago and one of the few corals that survived a trank crash.
When the tank was back on its feet it grew from a 1in Frag to a colony.
I know other reefer look down on it but I really like it. High light for me , med flow
Tips will glow in when it's happy.
This is what it's going to turn into.

View attachment 39869783001_1905c7a2c4_o.jpg

25621529118_64c36acd8c_o.jpg

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may not be any problem at all. Don’t be too quick to harass a Coral just because it’s not growing fast enough for you. 7 weeks is a blink of an eye for a monti, they have to adjust to new surroundings and chemistry. Any growth is a very good sign of good health. Growth rates may increase with time. If you don’t have pest and still feel like it’s not responding well could try repositioning the coral in another area of the tank.
It's not the lack of growth that concerns me, it was the whitening of the base. I'll leave it be as long as the rest of the color looks good. If the whitening continues to rise, then I will reevaluate.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back