Monti pest question

  • Thread starter Thread starter hig789
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hig789

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
485
Reaction score
81
Location
Western KY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a supernatural monti yesterday before we came home from vacation, got it home this morning and did a Bayer dip before putting it in the tank. 10ml in 1cup of water for 10min. Rinsed it in some tank water. I was inspecting it after the rinse and noticed that there was what appeared to be half of a worm or something sticking out of a hole on the edge of the top. It was dead after the dip but I was just curious what kind of pest burrows into the skeleton of a monti?

Didn't get a pic of it though. Anyone have any ideas?
 
Barnacle - Pyrgomatid ? ;)
 
Possibly a miniature feather duster worm.I have a group of them coexisting(peacefully?) beneath my Idaho Grape Monti.
 
Whatever this was it actually bored a hole in the plate of the monti. Well what ever it was it is dead now.

Was just curious what it could have been but from what I have looked up I think it was a pyrgomatid barnacle like KJ suggested. Just weird though, I figured a barnacle would have a shell or some sort of covering over the hole. This was just a hole in the plate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new