Monticap Removal

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alert: First World problem! My red and green (with purple polyps) monipora caps are suffocating the other SPS colonies. It was cool at the time but now I’m out of room — and quite honestly I got bored of monticap. Remember when Xenia and GSP were cool way back…until they took over your tank? Well, that’s me with monticap now. Help?

I can break them off and seed my other tank (this time, on their own island) but curious on what you guys do to completely eradicate them from the rocks? Otherwise, they will grow back with a vengeance.

Thoughts?

43944C96-F6B1-4EDA-93A0-2C2367B5DFCF.jpeg

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Break off as much as you can. Then use bone cutters to scrape the remaining monti off the rocks. Any remaining bits you can cover with aquascape epoxy putty (which you can break off again in a few weeks after the covered monti is dead). I would tackle a little section at a time. Also be prepared for collateral damage as you will invariably make a few accidental frags.

If you can take the rock out of the tank to work on that is probably the easiest. Unfortunately this is not always an option.

there is a decent Reef Dork youtube video on this:

Last edited:
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break off as much as you can. Then use bone cutters to scrape the remaining monti off the rocks. Any remaining bits you can cover with aquascape epoxy putty (which you can break off again in a few weeks after the covered monti is dead). I would tackle a little section at a time. Also be prepared for collateral damage as you will invariably make a few accidental frags.

If you can take the rock out of the tank to work on that is probably the easiest. Unfortunately this is not always an option.

there is a decent Reef Dork youtube video on this:

Thanks - will attempt the massive eradication next weekend. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the rock structure — it’s massive and glued to other rocks! I might cause way more damage trying to take it out.

I’m a huge fan of Reef Dork so thanks for the video.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently tore down and restarted my reef tank, strictly due to out of control monti growth. Once it starts encrusting, there isn't much you can do lol.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same situation and removed 10" pieces. Some of it was left behind, and it grew back a year later. I think the only way to permanently get rid of it is to take the rock out and chisel it off, or try to cut the rock with bone cutters in the tank. Leaving even a small piece will allow it to grow back.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after…

I spent hours scraping the remains of these invasive plates. Still some left under atinic lights but got tired after 4+ hrs. I managed to make some frags out of other colonies so time well spent. Also, managed to carve up some room for frags! ;)

24C0C6C2-1E1A-4ABF-B7DF-5E1362E26529.jpeg 1454AA6D-FAD9-4061-AA4B-8311782B4355.jpeg AD497A50-0D43-4DB2-AF43-21F288A13BB2.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back