Montipora bleaching out...please help

Richb5571

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday this monti looked great. I have had it a few months. I dosed Cipro last night to fight BJD that has taken a plate coral and 2 frogspawn and today it is bleaching out and dying. Any input or suggestions??

20210419_153824.jpg 20210419_153844.jpg

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bjd imo is best treated with wcs. Not dosing the aquarium.
You have 3 options imo.
Lower the coral down on the rockwork.
Lower your light %.
Just leave it be.
Hths ya
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still see skin so yes.
The one half looks healthy to me imo.
Your top down pic is a little blurry or the water surface is moving.
Can u kill the flow and take another pic for us?
D

Stones-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lower it in the tank to reduce light exposure, but also check phosphates and nitrates. My monti did this after transfer to a brand new tank, and has since come back 100%. If tank is too clean in this regard, this could make the monti stressed. Rest assured, it can fully recover in proper conditions.

OP
OP
Richb5571

Richb5571

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still see skin so yes.
The one half looks healthy to me imo.
Your top down pic is a little blurry or the water surface is moving.
Can u kill the flow and take another pic for us?
D
some better shots

Attachments

• 20210419_155626.jpg
    20210419_155626.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210419_155621(0).jpg
    20210419_155621(0).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Richb5571

Richb5571

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dealing with Brown Jelly Disease and have lost a plate and 2 frogspawn. I was informed on here to dip with cipro and then treat DT tank which I have followed the dosing mentioned in another post

OP
OP
Richb5571

Richb5571

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bjd imo is best treated with wcs. Not dosing the aquarium.
You have 3 options imo.
Lower the coral down on the rockwork.
Lower your light %.
Just leave it be.
Hths ya
D
FWIW, I will mention what I believe to be a safe dosage for dipping SPS frags. I dipped 10 SPS frags that were in very poor condition at a concentration of 113.5 mg/L for 30 min. This is a concentration about 1000 times greater than AquaBiomics' suggested dosage of 0.125 mg/L when treating a tank. I used Enrofloxacin which is the veterinary “equivalent” to Ciprofloxacin and can be considered to have equal “antibacterial activity” (for lack of a better term…..so, 1 mg of Enro = 1 mg Cipro. (I used 0.5cc of injectable Enro 2.27% in 100 ml water). This dosage clearly had no deleterious effect on the corals however I cannot say there was any improvement but this could very likely be because the corals were not STN-ing because of a pathogenic bacteria.

Even though I didn’t see any obvious improvement with the frags, the following day was the first day in about a month where I didn’t find dead “white tips” in the morning. Although the idea that a pathogenic bacteria is the cause of my problem is not “high on my list”, I am considering treating my entire tank anyway.. About 9 months ago I had 3 fish break out with vibrio-like skin lesions (that were successfully treated) so am wondering if this bacteria is still lingering and affecting the corals....(or, a related pathogen).

Before treating my tank, I was considering sending a water sample to @AquaBiomics and am awaiting a reply from a P.M. to him to get his opinion on this (and info about sending samples) but haven’t heard back anything yet.

Also regarding "bacteria," but on the "opposite end of the spectrum", is the idea that perhaps from the enormous number of water changes I have performed over the past 9 months due to a "tin problem", perhaps I have "washed out" beneficial bacteria. Again, maybe the analysis that AquaBiomics offers might be helpful for this as well.

Back