Montipora lowlight, vs highlight?

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heey,

So I have 3 red montipora growing under my ReefLED 50s.
2 of them are directly under the reefleds:
20201225_152456.jpg

And 1 is on the front window:
20201225_152501.jpg

Now I understand that, the Monti's that are directly under my ReefLED's are more brightly coloured (pink) rather than the darker red of the one on the 2nd picture.
But I can't explain the fuzzy growth on the edges... like it looks fuzzy, but is isn't actually fuzzy.. I wonder if that's because of the flow, or if it also has to do with Lighting (but then I'd expect the upper growth edge to also have the same fuzzy texture, which it doesn't?)

Merry Christmas everyone ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
NewGoby

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your talking about the white fuzz on the rock. Looks to be dying flesh to me. The fuzz is typically the flesh sloughing off.
Usually the white edge is a new growth edge, and the colouration usually depends on the lighting intensity, it's definetly not dying as it's still growing, and a Monti doesn't have 'flesh', I'm just wondering what would make the texture that.. strange

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth pattern of these is influenced by light and water flow. In strong light and/or flow they can grow more like encrusting and in weak light and low flow they will look more like the one at front. I have two different species both bought as M. capricornis. The darker one grows more encrusting in strong light and the lighter more orange colored grows only as flakes. The darker has larger polyps and a more uneven surface just like Yours.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back