OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, one more thing to add. The rock I have is from TBS. I don't have any hairy crabs, but I do have a ton of those pom-pom like crabs which seem to capture things from the water column, and they're reproducing. Anyone have any problems with those eating corals?

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, one more thing to add. The rock I have is from TBS. I don't have any hairy crabs, but I do have a ton of those pom-pom like crabs which seem to capture things from the water column, and they're reproducing. Anyone have any problems with those eating corals?
Low iron? I had a green Monti doing the same thing that is almost healed.
a70ee156568ed6c322543579eb3e5615.jpg

I'll send post pics when I get home.
I just dipped it last night, It does look like it's being bitten, although I can't imagine what, which is why I originally thought nudi's. I do have a LMB, but I haven't seen him go after anything let alone this monti. I moved the coral to a different location as well. This coral was thriving prior to 3 nights ago. I don't have any wrasses currently.

I agree, tissue looks eaten.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Iron Test kit, I'll check that today. Did you dose Iron to address the issue?

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Eunicid worm, anything else look disturbed?
Random things, I ordered a red flashlight from Amazon, coming soon. I'm going to go hunting at night. ;-)

I did find something interesting however, looks like a stylophora frag that was doing REALLY well had lots of missing tissue at the base last morning, then more missing tissue this morning. At first I thought it was RTN, but it seems fine during the day, nothing missing, then more the next day. I'm thinking I need to go hunting in my aquarium. Assuming this is parameter related.

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Iron Test kit, I'll check that today. Did you dose Iron to address the issue?
Sorry I didn't get a new picture up. Yes. I started using red seas coral color kit.

I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow. It's all healed except for one spot. I had people telling me I had Nudis to ALK swings to my blenny was eating it.

How did your test come out?

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't get a new picture up. Yes. I started using red seas coral color kit.

I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow. It's all healed except for one spot. I had people telling me I had Nudis to ALK swings to my blenny was eating it.

How did your test come out?

It's test night tonight.

Going to test:

Alk (which I'm lowering from 10 -> 8.5/9)
Po4
No3
Ca
Salinity
Iron
Potassium

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME making large changes to the intensity of leds whether it's higher or lower always seems to shock the corals. When combined with high alk it can be even worse. I try to change my lighting no more than maybe 5% a week max and only when I first add the lights. But if most of your coral is happy and you adjust the lights for just one piece then the rest of your coral now might not be happy any more. It is always best to just move the one piece to different lighting rather than the upset entire tank. Leds perform best with the set it and forget it method.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME making large changes to the intensity of leds whether it's higher or lower always seems to shock the corals. When combined with high alk it can be even worse. I try to change my lighting no more than maybe 5% a week max and only when I first add the lights. But if most of your coral is happy and you adjust the lights for just one piece then the rest of your coral now might not be happy any more. It is always best to just move the one piece to different lighting rather than the upset entire tank. Leds perform best with the set it and forget it method.

If that were true, why did they provide us with all those cool sliders and special effects? ;)

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that we can show off our new toy every time a friend comes over of course silly. I love the app.

But seriously though, every time I got the idea in my head to change the lights I ended up irritating all my coral. Once I tried the coral labs preset and stopped messing with it my corals colored up better than ever.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Results:

No3 2.5 ppm Salifert (dang, I hate this kit with the color readings)
Po4 0.073 Hanna ULR
Alk 168/9.392 Hanna
CA 420 Red Sea
MG 1410 Salifert
Iodide 0.01 Salifert
Potassium 370 Salifert
Iron 0 Sera Fe

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test Results:

No3 2.5 ppm Salifert (dang, I hate this kit with the color readings)
Po4 0.073 Hanna ULR
Alk 168/9.392 Hanna
CA 420 Red Sea
MG 1410 Salifert
Iodide 0.01 Salifert
Potassium 370 Salifert
Iron 0 Sera Fe
Iron is low. Here is Monti now. As you can see it's almost all recovered.

7e2149737f4711acfd63fd263c3e769b.jpg
0264a1a240362aa94ed9f7bf30b8eb13.jpg

I don't have an iron test kit but in the instructions it gives you how much to dose off of calcium consumption.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is low. Here is Monti now. As you can see it's almost all recovered.

7e2149737f4711acfd63fd263c3e769b.jpg
0264a1a240362aa94ed9f7bf30b8eb13.jpg

I don't have an iron test kit but in the instructions it gives you how much to dose off of calcium consumption.

Good luck.

I bought the KZ Iron product, I'm going to start dosing slowly, I know FE can be harmful to the fishes.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron and other trace elements are hard to test for with our kits that are available and some of these elements are taken up or depleted in the water soon after we dose so the testing is kind of flawed in a sense.
If you are going to start dosing I would recommend dosing half or even a 1/4 of what the product says to and keep notes on any differences good or bad.
Water changes would be sufficient to provide such minor trace elements even if you performed a large water change 50% or more you should see if there is indeed something missing that has been depleted over time that regular small water changes have not kept up with.
Just food for though is all.
Good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa/ Mike

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, talk about resurrecting a thread. Here's a pic (of that same Monti)

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing.

Thanks, it's about the size of a small dessert plate now. It was sold as a "Jedi Mind Trick to me" I know better now. I haven't seen another like it, it's on a mari culture plug, from Indonesia I think.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back