Montipora whiting problem

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red cap monti that has done exponentially well since I bought it a few months ago. It’s just been growing, but within the last few weeks I’ve seen some very weird bleaching. I don’t know if he has gotten stung. I didn’t move a war coral away from it just in case. Just new spot appearing. It’s the only thing in the tank having issues at the moment. I have some other montis that are perfectly fine. Is it possible to become light sensitive all of a sudden? I haven’t changed it at all. Here’s a pic.

524c6dea88f2059eb0e14c8efa13f1f3.jpg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving water parameters helps .
And could have some creep settled onto it ?
Pests ( montipora eating nuddibranch )

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving water parameters helps .
And could have some creep settled onto it ?
Pests ( montipora eating nuddibranch )

Salinity 1.025
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ammonia 0
pH 8.3

I don’t test any other parameters on this particular tank. So I have no readings for magnesium etc.

I don’t see any salt creep on my equipment. It’s possible about a pest, but why only that montipora? I have a 8-10 inch diameter montipora near it and nothing. Also have another Jedi mind trick monti and it’s fine. All other coral are fine. This one is directly below the light and mid tank. The others are offset. But I only have a kessil a80 on it and at 70%. It was growing fine and I never changed any of the settings so not sure why it all of a sudden started to occur.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO alkalinity is very important. I would have checked that first . It may have burned from lights ? I’ve herd kessel LEDs are powerful. As far as pests , check at night with a flashlight. If you have more montipora then chances of pests become more with introduction of every new peace . Just throwing that in .

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO alkalinity is very important. I would have checked that first . It may have burned from lights ? I’ve herd kessel LEDs are powerful. As far as pests , check at night with a flashlight. If you have more montipora then chances of pests become more with introduction of every new peace . Just throwing that in .
Thank you for the reply. I was out of town for the weekend and upon returning it has gotten worse.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back