Moody Duncan Coral

woodyarmadillo

The other Tim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0A8B27BC-FCC1-4AD4-86AC-3091E43FB8D4.jpeg
I’ve got a couple Duncan’s. Mine was particularly picky about placement. I had him towards the top of the rock but he started closing up. When I moved him to the bottom of the rock (like you have) he’s been thriving. Any idea what your oar levels are like? Mine likes a little indirect flow and I’d guess my par is somewhere around 150 there.

May need to add a fish. I’ve got 2 in my 15 gallon and I don’t dose anything but my phosphates stay about .08 and nitrates around 10 with weekly 10-20% water changes. Also I would recommend picking up the Hannah phosphate ppb and high range nitrate tests at some point.

I have all salifert tests and was also having the same problem with phosphates. Looked crystal clear like 0 to me. Once I used Hannah, I am getting a much more accurate test. If you can afford it, the high range nitrate test is also excellent and accurate. Other than those 2 I love the salifert for calcium, magnesium and alkalinity.

sorry to hear about your Duncan.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I've had my Duncan Coral for two weeks now, and the little guy had their tentacles out normally during the day, but now closes up during the day and opens at night. This started a couple of days ago, and my water parameters seem fine, it's only with the lighting where I notice it happening.

I do not have a par meter, however, it is just above the sand substrate on the ledge of rockwork in my 4.8g tank. I have my NICREW 30w light set to 50% for both blue and white light. I just find it interesting how now all of a sudden, it's not happy with this lighting. I plan on dropping it down a notch to maybe 40 or 30%, I just hope that's enough and that the other LPS corals don't complain.

Has anyone ever had a light moody Duncan Coral before? It was fine for almost 2 weeks with the same light, just found that to be odd.
I received one also from a vendor on here a couple/few months ago. Thought it was crazy for being all tucked away unlike other Duncan’s I gave/experienced. It has fully expanded but still hides away a lot.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It receded fully and fully disintegrated. Such a shame, but I imagine it was due to the undetectable nitrates and phosphates. Thankfully, the rest of the colors look good, so at least there's that.
Sorry to hear about your Duncan, are you sure you purchased a healthy one? I believe you took the right steps and while nobody is perfect it should have shown signs of healing or slightly opening. I am also struggling with coral myself since I’m new ( started in September last year) and I’m in desperate need of a weak wavemaker/pump may I ask what pump you purchased?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I just realized that I have NP-Bacto-Balance from Trip Marin. Would that help increase both as well?
No, bacto balance os for maintenance. While it will help feed heterotrophic bacteria that your corals will then consume to get their phosphates, its important to also be dosing nitrates AND phosphates in your situation. If you had fish I would recomend Plus NP from that line of products to raise them, but without amonia production in your tank it wouldn't do much for the 0 nitrates.

If I were you, I would do the min dose of Bacto Balance once you get your phosphates up to .03 and maintain that or higher, and your nitrates up to maybe 2.

The brightwell products neo nitro and neophos are great for this, and while I would not surpass their recomended dose, If you notice it is depleting quickly, as I see in my setup, I would do the same dose 2 to 3 times a day.

But if you don't have algaes of any kind consuming your nitrates and phosphates yet, the recomended dose should be plenty.

Keep an eye on those levels, while I was figuring out my dosing I tested every day for a week and then every 2 to 3 days for about 6 weeks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back