• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staying with the eclipse theme for another day, I'm curious to see how many people actually use some type of moon lighting on a regular basis. If so, is it programmed to simulate the moon's phases, or simply programmed to be on/off.

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Moon light feature of my AI Prime HD. It changes the light level based on the current phase of the moon.

+1 with my Hydra 26 HD

In fact I couldn't figure out why my tank was dark the other day until I realized there was a new moon so therefore the light turned off completely

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with my Hydra 26 HD

In fact I couldn't figure out why my tank was dark the other day until I realized there was a new moon so therefore the light turned off completely
LOL! That happened to me the first time. I had read the information in the manual and still thought something was wrong.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to use it on my radion based on the moon phases, but it doesnt seem to want to work. I try getting to be very dim, but then when I click program it just stays off. If I raise the intensity up around 3% more from where I like it and program it, then it stays on but is way too bright

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure my choice is in the poll? I have rather bright moon lights....two, four foot IceCap LED strips.....sold as moonlights. I actually don't use them as "moon" lights because I noticed, when I first got them, that my fish weren't going to bed.....and they were staying up and partying. So I've incorporated them into my 12 hour light cycle, where they first come on for an hour, and are last to go off for an hour, to mimic early morning sunrise and late evening sunset, respectively.

So I guess my choice, if it were there, would be "programmed to go on and off (to simulate sunrise and sunset.)" :D

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue ist definitely the worst choice. In fact moonlight isn´t blue but it is less blue than normal daylight. That it seems blue to us is an optical illusion caused by the physiology of our eyes. Blue light is the light that appears darkest to our eyes but brightest to corals and zooxanthellae.

I guess there is no moonlight simulation that also simulates the time when the moon shines. In fact only the full moon shines during the whole night and is highest at midnight (high moon :D).

The increasing moon is rising after the sun and sinking after the sun while the decreasing moon is going ahead to the sun and new moon is paralleling the sun. So a correct moon cycle would have to be: increasing half moon shining the first half of the night, full moon shining the whole night and brightest at midnight and decreasing half moon shining the second half of the night. The complete lunar cycle ist that the new moon is rising and sinking with the sun, in the beginning the increasing moon is sinking ca. 50 min. after the sun is sinking, sinking ca. 50 min. later every further night until after 14.77 nights the moon is full and shines the whole night, and then rising ca. 50 min later every night until after further 14.77 days the new moon rises together with the sun again.

Just as the sunlight the moonlight also changes in brightness during one single cloudless night beeing brightest at "high moon" which also shifts by ca. 50 min every night accordingly.

Last edited:

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did phases for a while but I do lots of night viewing with my schedule so now I leave them on always.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back