OP
OP
EmptyWallet

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just scooped him up with a net and threw him in! (tanks matched in temp, salinity, ph ofcourse). I don't think the streamers are that fragile so you should be fine.

He swims waaaaaay to close to the vortechs for my liking, I'm worried his streamer will get chopped up

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He swims waaaaaay to close to the vortechs for my liking, I'm worried his streamer will get chopped up

Awesome fish, and awesome tank. I think it’s quite appropriate for that size of a tank.

About the the Vortechs, I think Gill’s gonna want way more flow.

When I’ve seen them in the wild it’s always been in places that have a good amount of flow. An extreme amount of flow by aquarium standards. (were Gill a convict tang, I’d say more than you can possibly make. I’ve seen convict tangs in water that has so much flow it basically looks like soda. Not far from where MIs were, btw, though i never saw MIs in the soda areas)

The chromises would probably appreciate it too.

Would recommend more powerheads to rustle things up. Especially if the vortechs are not running at 100%. My favorites might be a Tunze wave box, or a pair of gyres. But a few Jebaos could also work too.

OP
OP
EmptyWallet

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, I had been considering more flow to tackle a few dead spots in the back/centre. The Vortechs are great but do seem to concentrate the blast as opposed to distribute it more widely (as you would expect from a circular powerhead) so this might be the excuse I need to try some gyres as well!

OP
OP
EmptyWallet

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows he doing?

Doing great now, he has worked out when it's dinner time to charge the chromis to force them to the other side of the tank, it's hilarious to watch them then build up courage to go back in, then the group follows, then Gill sends them back. Not sure that is going to work with his future tank mates but the plan is to let him get established and big before adding very small tangs, and to have bulletproof filtration so I can keep everyone well fed!

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EmptyWallet how's Gill doing? All of our finned 'kids' and coral which were in our 180 gallon got moved into the 300 gallon this weekend. The 180 gallon was drained and emptied.

Our MI is a NLS pellet eating fiend! Everyone is playing nicely in the new pool. :)

20180520_152223.jpg

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@EmptyWallet how's Gill doing? All of our finned 'kids' and coral which were in our 180 gallon got moved into the 300 gallon this weekend. The 180 gallon was drained and emptied.

Our MI is a NLS pellet eating fiend! Everyone is playing nicely in the new pool. :)

20180520_152223.jpg

My friend, you just let brought some sunlight into an otherwise dreary day. Thank you for sharing :)

@EmptyWallet it’s your turn!

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pharazon Not a problem! This little guy is bringing so much joy to our home that I wanted to share.

Even my husband is still in awe of him. He's quite the puppy dog following us around the tank begging for food. It's as if the light bulb went off with the NLS pellets and watching the other tank mates eat them. Now, if I can just get over having half the cast of Finding Nemo in our tank! It was never intended that way! Ha!

OP
OP
EmptyWallet

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the tank looks great. I have a dory, bubbles, marlin and nemo in QT at the moment - kids pick. I think the movie just ran with the favourites as opposed to us copying from the movie.

My Gill is doing great. Big personalities with these fish. I'm having an epic brown algae outbreak at the moment (which is slowly breaking my will) and he just follows my hand around the tank as I pick and syphon it out, I'm hoping he will work out what I'm doing and give me a hand, I even offered him pocket money to pick the algae out whilst I'm at work saving me hours of labour - very curious and totally fearless which is great in a fish.

None of my fish touch the pellets - not the tangs, not even the chromis. I have 2 brands including NLS - I just don't get it?

Is that it for your stocking or do you have other fish to come?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 1st attempt at a MI! Got him through QT, with my first "test" batch with the Hanna Copper Checker!

Amazing fish, so much character, my kids favorite of course.

Have another one in QT now for a friend of mine ;)
IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
120251.jpeg

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that it for your stocking or do you have other fish to come?

I'd like to add in a bristletooth tang. Not sure what other kinds. My husband would like a chevron. I'm more keen on angelfish. :)

I can't believe you have white rocks and barely any algae!

There's some green in there. Ha! We've been running a UV since the first fish went in. Clean up crew has been kicking butt as well.

Back