More affordable hobby than I realized..?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been under the impression that starting and keeping a reef tank was inherently an expensive (nearly unmanageably so) hobby. I am now learning from some very helpful and friendly R2R members that my thinking has been way off the mark. When you see the majority of reefer's build threads and the equipment they are running as par for the course, it seems very easy to believe that you can't have a thriving and enjoyable reef tank short of spending $1000s. Pair that with the fact that many companies' YouTube channels dissuade beginners from the more affordable options of nano or pico tanks as inherently more prone to crashes with tempermental water balance/nutrient levels (none of us are interested in buying a few hundred dollars worth of coral just to watch it slowly wither away, right?) and it quickly becomes easy to conclude that this is a hobby intended only for those who do have $1000s in expendible income.

At any rate, my thanks to @Katrina71 @Tamberav and @pshootr for the very helpful information and video links of thriving, but just as important, affordable systems.
With any luck, I might have cause to start my own (expect modest,) build thread.
Thanks again.
SweetCoralline
Very well said. If this hobby was so prohibitively expensive there's no way I could have gotten into it at the age of 13. Good luck with your future build ;)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first Biocube was less than 100. Including the stand.

OP
OP
S

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Biocube was less than 100. Including the stand.
I just found an older 29G model with stand in my area on ebay for local pickup listed at $300. I offered $100 ;) which got an automated decline and followed up with $150 which also received an automated decline... lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first was 8 gallons. I disagree(respectfully) about smaller tanks being more difficult. I think it just teaches you discipline and mindful livestock selection.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just found an older 29G model with stand in my area on ebay for local pickup listed at $300. I offered $100 ;) which got an automated decline and followed up with $150 which also received an automated decline... lol
I have the older 29 right now. I paid $350 for this one.

OP
OP
S

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the older 29 right now. I paid $350 for this one.
Yeah, I realized after the fact that you likely meant a smaller model. (I didn't know they had come in an 8G size though). Well, I can be grateful that the declines were automated so the seller wouldn't have to see me making a fool of my self in public. I'll save that kind of behavior for R2R... lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Send your seller a message. Express your budget and see what they might be willing to do. They may have a tank not listed that would be perfect for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I realized after the fact that you likely meant a smaller model. (I didn't know they had come in an 8G size though). Well, I can be grateful that the declines were automated so the seller wouldn't have to see me making a fool of my self in public. I'll save that kind of behavior for R2R... lol
It's not foolish. Tanks here are high because of fewer reefers. It's only foolish not to give it a shot.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help contain costs my motto has been "Buy once, cry once." But even then I fail occasionally. Still, I research and buy the best solution I can afford and then stick with it for as long as possible. Some people seem to upgrade lights, skimmers, return pumps, and powerheads in a continuous cycle. I don't know if they're unhappy with the product or simply have the $ to experiment? In any case, I still have a Kessil A360 over my 60 cube that I bought 3-4 years ago.

I give products every chance to succeed vs tossing at the first sign of failure, except for life support products. That was an early lesson. An inexpensive DC return failed. The Eheim replacement has run constantly ever since and it was roughly the same price, albeit it pulls more watts. Quality used equipment can often be a much better value than inexpensive new equipment. Eheim and Tunze are both solid names that can be had on the used market for bargain prices.

You don't have to spend a lot, you just have to spend wisely. Good luck!

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A used tank and stand can be had for cheap if you keep an eye out and be patient. But it tends to turn into a money pit after, especially if you go with something bigger than a 40g.

Getting tired of going out and buying your water? Buy RODI system.
Now you need to store the water. Buy bins.
How are you going to mix the salt? Buy powerhead, buy heater.
How do you get it out of the storage containers or into tank? Buy pump, buy hoses

Don't want new fish/corals bringing in bad stuff? Buy tank for QT, buy heater, buy powerhead
You want to treat fish or dip corals? Buy medicine, then buy test kit to make sure you have proper levels of medication

You want a reef tank or keep other corals besides softies? Buy Ca, Alk, Mg test kits
Starting to get algae? Buy PO4 and NO3 test kits. Buy chems to treat or buy equipment. Buy media to use in new equipment
Running out of room to store everything you've bought? Buy cabinet/storage system

The above describes exactly what I went through. LOL

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to purchase a RODI, then I would pick a size you would be comfortable buying and hauling jugs of distilled for. I didn't have a RODI until several years into the hobby but kept nano's so it was reasonable to haul water.

Personally I find nano's easier than big tanks, the biggest I had was a 75g but I ended up hating it because it was deeper than I was used to and maintenance made me angry and frustrated. At this point I am so spoiled by small shallow tanks where I can easily take care of any detail.

Shorter tanks are cheaper to light, softies are cheaper to keep since you don't need to dose/test.

Something around 5-20g is going to be generally cheaper to maintain than bigger tanks.

You could probably get away with two 12w Tuna par bulbs over a 10g just fine. I have a par bulb hung from a white shelf/plant hook attached to my wall screwed into a white lamp cord I bought at home depot. Over a 5g, you would need just 1.

The seachem tidal filters are nice for HOB filter options, they skim the surface and on a small tank and add flow.

Anyways, there are a lot of options for you to consider, just depends what you want to spend.

OP
OP
S

SweetCoralline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A used tank and stand can be had for cheap if you keep an eye out and be patient. But it tends to turn into a money pit after, especially if you go with something bigger than a 40g.

How do you get it out of the storage containers or into tank? Buy pump, buy hoses

Don't want new fish/corals bringing in bad stuff? Buy tank for QT, buy heater, buy powerhead
You want to treat fish or dip corals? Buy medicine, then buy test kit to make sure you have proper levels of medication

You want a reef tank or keep other corals besides softies? Buy Ca, Alk, Mg test kits
Starting to get algae? Buy PO4 and NO3 test kits. Buy chems to treat or buy equipment. Buy media to use in new equipment
Running out of room to store everything you've bought? Buy cabinet/storage system

^^^
This is always, very much the rabbit hole of thinking my mind goes down.

Especially because, I don't want to have to haul RO/DI from the store, I do want to keep LPS and SPS that require good power drives and strong PAR output, I absolutely would insist on a QT tank to avoid crashes, etc, etc, etc. I'm thinking maybe it's not so much a matter of me not being able to afford the hobby and more of me not being able to afford the hobby the way I would want to enjoy it. Lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol while I agree with this.. as most people end up going this route... I had so little money when I started this hobby I did not buy the ammonia/nitrite kits to cycle, I only bought the cheap API Nitrate kit. So how did I know my tank cycled? Well I just gave it a good 6 weeks and waited for the uglies to show up and tested Nitrate. I went visually instead of testing and took it very slow.

Some people don't test for PO4 even when they have algae. I mean you get GHA and then your PO4 reads low since the GHA is using it anyways.

I use the same powerhead to mix the salt as pump it into the tank, I don't use a heater, the powerhead heats it up pretty quick anyways, and I don't store water, just mix in 5g bucket and use the same day.

I now have a lot more crap (most bought used) but nice light and so on but I certainly didn't start that way 10 years ago. I have some vortechs I got used but they are from 2012 but hey, they keep working! I am still budget minded although my budget is bigger now.

My friend just got into the hobby with like NO budget. He bought a 29g for 25 dollars, a jebao, a aquaclear, and a used refractometer and a 8 dollar sun sun pump to mix salt. He uses a scoop to pour it into the tank by hand. I gave him the live rock but most people can find some on a local reef forum. He has no money for reef lights atm so hes just letting it run FOWLR. He doesn't have money for a QT tank so he bought all his fish from Live Aquaria, ORA fish only to have the best bet to avoid disease since they are shipped from ORA. He got two $15 clowns, a captive bred yellow watchman goby from ORA, a pistol shrimp, cleaner shrimp, and added a peppermint to hit free shipping.

He got a CUC from reef cleaners prior to the fish.

Adding all that at once usually isn't advised but he needed to hit the $99 shipping. The rock was live and he let it cycle/cure in his tank a good long while and all the fish were babies... it turned out totally fine. He will tackle some easy corals when he has a light to do so but for now the tank is maturing.

I guess the truth is... if you have a budget, you just need to be realistic about your plans but there is still a lot in this hobby a person can enjoy on a budget. Plus it is a great learning experience.

If you want SPS but have no budget, then I would just go with a 2g jar. Then you can just do 100% water changes and put a 30 dollar light over it and call it done.

If you want fish, than a 20g with softies and some LPS is better for a budget.

If you want full blown 30g SPS system, you need to at least have money for test kits/supplements and a chinese black box. Honestly though, its going to be the SPS frags that drive you into the poor house though more than the system set up.. ha!

Jo Beth Latimer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a used 46 gallon with all the equipment and it has worked wonderfully. I started my reef in it. It has cost to get new lighting and coral, but other than my choices to buy new and start a reef it would not have been an expensive way to have a saltwater aquarium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back