More tank shutdowns for now reason with GHL profilux

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what a shame - Mattias with GHL just cemented my decision by his absolute refusal to answer my question on my request with them.....

"Please tell me where this is documented?". Rather than respond to that question - they've closed and locked the thread on their support forum. I asked that question for a reason - so I, and maybe others, would not have this same experience in the future.

Gonna take me a month or so - but there's gonna be some discounted and very very lightly used GHL gear for sale.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what a shame - Mattias with GHL just cemented my decision by his absolute refusal to answer my question on my request with them.....

"Please tell me where this is documented?". Rather than respond to that question - they've closed and locked the thread on their support forum. I asked that question for a reason - so I, and maybe others, would not have this same experience in the future.

Gonna take me a month or so - but there's gonna be some discounted and very very lightly used GHL gear for sale.

They did that because they interpreted your question to be a complaint, which goes against their support forum rules. They are sticklers about rules. :D

The best way for you to proceed would be to file a support ticket and ask for @Matthias Gross to handle it.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their GHL forum is very clear with support and complaints not to be raised. It’s not personal - but you broke their rules.

I’m sure you could have switched out the slave for a stand-alone without too much trouble complaint if you’d spoken to Vinny directly.

But just jumping up and down and keep complaining that you spend 4K blah blah and thus deserve special treatment wasn’t going to work culturally you get what you want.

Might be best for you and GHL to go your separate ways.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is 1 challenge with even that solution - I now will lose the "1 connection point to manage all systems" - which is a benefit to me. I'm not super keen on needing to manage most things from one place and then 1 or 2 things from another place. It's why I went with GHL and was looking forward to an ION director.

I know this isn't fully the point of your thread, but it would seem you're saying, only either KH Director or ION Director can be controlled by the P4? You can't purchase a slave bundle for each add on and expect the P4 to control all? Am I interpreting this correctly?

If that's correct, that is kind of a bummer, when the competition allows your nearly endless modules/control all from one "brain".

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't fully the point of your thread, but it would seem you're saying, only either KH Director or ION Director can be controlled by the P4? You can't purchase a slave bundle for each add on and expect the P4 to control all? Am I interpreting this correctly?

If that's correct, that is kind of a bummer, when the competition allows your nearly endless modules/control all from one "brain".

I don't' believe that is correct and I apologize if I indicated that.

I have a need for 2 KH directors - which you can not control from 1 profilux.

The ION director should be a separate device that can be controlled from a profilux while also controlling a KH director.

Based on my experience - the firmware sees the KH director as a KH Director and you can't assign it a new name etc - so when the profilux sends a "hey, go test" signal to KH Director - both of them will get the signal, both will start running the pumps etc - and then it gets all whacky cause - well, who knows whats happening with the info being returned from 2 KH directors when the controller thinks there is only 1.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't' believe that is correct and I apologize if I indicated that.

I have a need for 2 KH directors - which you can not control from 1 profilux.

The ION director should be a separate device that can be controlled from a profilux while also controlling a KH director.

Based on my experience - the firmware sees the KH director as a KH Director and you can't assign it a new name etc - so when the profilux sends a "hey, go test" signal to KH Director - both of them will get the signal, both will start running the pumps etc - and then it gets all whacky cause - well, who knows whats happening with the info being returned from 2 KH directors when the controller thinks there is only 1.
Gotcha. Maybe it was the last comment about how you were looking forward to the ION D that led me to that conclusion. But, maybe you just meant you were fed up with GHL in general and so considering leaving the ecosystem which would mean, no ION D.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Maybe it was the last comment about how you were looking forward to the ION D that led me to that conclusion. But, maybe you just meant you were fed up with GHL in general and so considering leaving the ecosystem which would mean, no ION D.

You are correct - it is primarily a financial thing for me. I allocated a budget - and due to lack of documentation I have equipment I can not use and would need to move budget away from the ION director to now get the second KH director functional as intended.

Solutions - albeit much less than ideal solutions - were provided such as " go buy an ION director as a stand alone unit, use the stand alone dosing pumps for the kh director, use the slave dosing pumps I already have for the ion director"...etc etc.

Appreciated creative thinking and potential solutions from helpful members here on R2R - all very much potentially viable solutions that I was willing to consider.

If you are not in my situation of having a real need to control multiple KH directors - my challenges most likely won't impact you.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct - it is primarily a financial thing for me. I allocated a budget - and due to lack of documentation I have equipment I can not use and would need to move budget away from the ION director to now get the second KH director functional as intended.

Solutions - albeit much less than ideal solutions - were provided such as " go buy an ION director as a stand alone unit, use the stand alone dosing pumps for the kh director, use the slave dosing pumps I already have for the ion director"...etc etc.

Appreciated creative thinking and potential solutions from helpful members here on R2R - all very much potentially viable solutions that I was willing to consider.

If you are not in my situation of having a real need to control multiple KH directors - my challenges most likely won't impact you.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry to see you're having such issues with your GHL products. I hope you find a solution that you're happy with.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im dabbling in a KHD and slave.. now im nervous....

I'm not encouraging anyone to stay away from GHL. I am fine with admitting my expectations may be higher than what GHL is willing to accommodate from a customer - that does not mean I believe others may not be completely happy with GHL in all manners and it certainly is not up to me to determine where others spend their money.

My pre sales research never turned up, what is to me, a significant limitation.

[Here is my real issue and the reason I will be kicking all the GHL gear out of my house] - Their support has been deflective on the documentation issue and they simply refuse to tell me how I can find out about these limitations without discovering them on my own. Seems minor - and probably is to most.

You can easily avoid my situation by asking more questions prior to making your purchase and making sure you will be achieving 100% of your mandatory goals with your purchase.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already deep into it with 2 mitras and p4 and doser and other small stuff that add up. I will admit when i called to ask questions about products. They returned my voicemail and spent 20 minutes on the phone with me explaining everything. I didnt have apex or any computer yet. Now I'm Deeeeep. Email and voicemail and no response. I know ita the holidays I hope its that. But @Ditto is always the one that spends alot of time with me and breaks things down.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, wish I read your post about asking the question how many KH can be connected, would have answered it in a second as it will be one of each :(.

You should not need to port forward or place firewall rules on your router unless for some reason you want still use the legacy software to configure the device. This was discussed in the early days over 2.5 years ago for the P4 as the web interface, cloud interface and app were still being developed today you should be able to access and control the device without any issues. Yes, you still need the legacy application to set up certain things, Vortech controller is a good example but 95% of the features of the desktop are now within the App, Cloud and Web Interface.

I am concerned thou on your random tank shutdown. When this happens and you connect with the legacy software go to systems, and assign devices does it see all the devices in the list or does it show some without a checkmark box?

I think your going to see a device has fallen off.

Have you updated your expansion box to the latest version of firmware? There was some known issues with the expansion box that required a firmware update, I do not believe this is one of the issues but keeping it to the latest is a good idea.

Since you had to power cycle your power bar is your P4 also plugged into the PowerBar and if the PowerBar cycles does it also cycle power on the P4?

The Random alert of the temp probe, is this from the expansion box or the P4 itself?

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto - thank you for your response(s) - as soon as I'm back at home I'll dig around and connect my PC to the main P4 and see what the state of the devices are.

I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest firmware - but I will confirm that as well and report back here.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know @lmm1967 I know how frustrating it can be when it not working, we will figure this out, sorry your having issues.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't even know the latest firmwares.... they need to put out som enotifications for p4/wifi/doser/mitras updates so i know to update stuff.. i updated stuff when i bought stuff in july..... but since havent updated anything

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know @lmm1967 I know how frustrating it can be when it not working, we will figure this out, sorry your having issues.
@Ditto - I disconnected pretty much everything except the P4, 1 expansion box, 2 power bars. I've not seen any shutdowns since then.

Can you point me to the cheapest stand alone doser capable of running a KHD? And 1 more question - will 1 SA doser be able to control both a KHD and an ION with no controller? I already have 2 four head slave units plus a two head slave

Depending on what options are workable I'm most likely going to sell off everything except the bare minimum required to run a KHD but I want the option to add the IOND later on.

Last edited:

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto - I disconnected pretty much everything except the P4, 1 expansion box, 2 power bars. I've not seen any shutdowns since then.

Can you point me to the cheapest stand alone doser capable of running a KHD? And 1 more question - will 1 SA doser be able to control both a KHD and an ION with no controller?

Depending on what options are workable I'm most likely going to sell off everything except the bare minimum required to run a KHD but I want the option to add the IOND later on.

You would have to get at least a two channel SA doser to control your KHD and your slave doser.
Without the slave, you would need a SA three channel doser.

I don’t believe that a SA doser will control BOTH a KHD and an ION director. To keep that capability, you would likely need to hold onto your p4.

OP
OP
lmm1967

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to get at least a two channel SA doser to control your KHD and your slave doser.
Without the slave, you would need a SA three channel doser.

I don’t believe that a SA doser will control BOTH a KHD and an ION director. To keep that capability, you would likely need to hold onto your p4.

It seems there is no longer a SA three channel doser - and I thought at some point in the past I also used to see a 2 channel SA doser. I know there is the Maxi which is a 2 head SA unit and is cheaper than the 4 channel SA units.

Tank 1 -> 4 channel SA + KHD + another 4 channel SA + IOND

Repeat for second tank.

Is that accurate?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back