Moseleya coral

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this beauty from AquaSD Fathers day sale!
1624149854654.png

Anyone with any experience with Moseleya coral?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.... had one for a year until i started messing around with drops of Iodine.

The dark brown iodine in a eyedropper. Killed it overnight.

They are:
> sensitive to water quality and dosing. one of the first corals to stress out over overdosing

> needs a mature tank of at least 9mos with mature water quality

> definitely a bottom of the tank coral with minimal PAR. Less than 100. Better in shadowy indirect light

> definitely low flow

> can be spot-fed but use high quality food

> I would put it in the same general care of an Elegance

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.... had one for a year until.i started messing around with drops if Iodine. The dark brown iodine in a eyedropper. Killed it overnight.

They are:
> sensitive to water quality and dosing. one of the first corals to stress out over overdosing

> definitely a bottom of the tank coral with minimal PAR. Less than 100. Better on shadowy indirect light

> definitely low flow

> can be spotted but use high quality food
I am sorry the iodine killed yours.
I am excited to get it but it does not seem super common so I appreciate your experience!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everything @zoa what said. I have had one in my tank for 4 mo now and it's a center show piece. Mid tank at 80-90 par, with low/moderate flow.
It's quite sensitive to stability. I have come to appreciate they like frequent (2-3x per week) feeding with mysis. Mine will open up to almost 2x the skeleton, so be sure to give it some room; not unlike trachys.
Be mindful not to put it in the sand... it will irritate it and cause damage.
They are gorgeous corals!
Hope this helps...

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everything @zoa what said. I have had one in my tank for 4 mo now and it's a center show piece. Mid tank at 80-90 par, with low/moderate flow.
It's quite sensitive to stability. I have come to appreciate they like frequent (2-3x per week) feeding with mysis. Mine will open up to almost 2x the skeleton, so be sure to give it some room; not unlike trachys.
Hope this helps...
Yes this helps a lot, I was thinking about placing on sand when it came, but will need to figure out a better spot.
Thank you!

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this helps...

how is yours doing?

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
only ask because I have a frag of one coming. I did a lot of research and would love to hear how they fair long term.

Apparently, they are in tidal zones and can survive being out of water during low tide. kind of cool. Seems like a coral not widely kept.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been bullet proof, grows a bit slow but is still one of my favorites.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall probably about doubled in size in a year and a half.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone last 6 months without spot feeding it. First 6 months I would feed after dark, but more because I thought it was fun then it was needed. It will eat just about anything. Nothing else special I treat it a lot like my acans and pectina as far as light and flow.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone last 6 months without spot feeding it. First 6 months I would feed after dark, but more because I thought it was fun then it was needed. It will eat just about anything. Nothing else special I treat it a lot like my acans and pectina as far as light and flow.
lower light? lower flow? where do you have it in your tank?

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is on bottom with lower flow and lower light. I can try to get a par reading on it tomorrow if it would help.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is on bottom with lower flow and lower light. I can try to get a par reading on it tomorrow if it would help.
Hi, I saw this post of yours while researching this coral I found at the LFS. How is yours going? Any tips from your experience having it?

For feeding - unlike everything else this thing seems a night time feeder, opening wide only after lights out. Do you feed it when dark or let it get whatever it needs from tank microfauna?

/have mine on a rock shelf at bottom of the tank under about 100 par in low/moderate flow, with some flow from return line going in general direction of it. Tank isn’t short on micro critters - pods, etc, which judging from its mouth seem to look like what it would eat.

Back