Most important tank dimension for a FOWLR tank?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the most important dimension to any tank is depth. No one wants a 1/4" deep tank....

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much. I wanted a Glass Cages 96" tank, but I am currently having them build me two (2) 60" tanks instead (see my build thread). It was either get a mini-army of strong friends and an appropriate number of large glass suction-cups, and rent a big U-haul, or hire "professional" movers for the same 96" worth of heavy glass, and hope the word "professional" was not a misnomer. o_O By going 72" or under you can pay for the lift-gate truck right to your house, which I think is worth every penny.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price your paying , get a custom tank made, and be happy with what you get. Buying a mass manufactured tank, your limited on options. Ordering a custom tank (with a 4-6 week wait time) will get you better results, and you’ll be happier long term. And the wait time is nothing when it comes to this hobby.

I ordered a 84x30x30 tank from @Joe Glass Cages , and got exactly what I wanted. I went with 84 inches, because it has to go down a flight of stairs and 96 inches wouldn’t fit.

As for shipping and moving, a standard mini van will move up to a 96x30x30 tank (I moved a couch the same dimensions a few weeks ago with my mini van). The issue comes moving the tank from your vehicle , inside the house. A lot of beer and steaks will do the trick. Of course, the beer comes after the move.

What ever you decide to choose, good luck with your new tank.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went shallow and long..... no regrets. Makes cleaning easy

7C9496C7-D4C6-4505-ACBC-5E5E02232AE0.jpeg

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have such great options now. You might get serious about your fish selection or at least consider what fish you really want as your show fish and look at their mature size. I like butterflies and try hard to keep any I get to 8 inches at maturity. That’s a big fish in an aquarium. Most angels I like go much bigger so no can do. Look at 4FordFamily’s 10 ft tank and his fish. They are getting pretty big but his length and width really offset their size. My next tank is acrylic so it can be moved easier and at least 8 ft if not 10 by 30 by 24 high. I have long arms so no problem front to back but once it’s set up I have no need to reach the back anyway. Mine is going to be peninsula style but the back will be almost against the wall.
Just some things to consider as you ponder your choice.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much. I wanted a Glass Cages 96" tank, but I am currently having them build me two (2) 60" tanks instead (see my build thread). It was either get a mini-army of strong friends and an appropriate number of large glass suction-cups, and rent a big U-haul, or hire "professional" movers for the same 96" worth of heavy glass, and hope the word "professional" was not a misnomer. o_O By going 72" or under you can pay for the lift-gate truck right to your house, which I think is worth every penny.
Such good insight. Thank you

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have such great options now. You might get serious about your fish selection or at least consider what fish you really want as your show fish and look at their mature size. I like butterflies and try hard to keep any I get to 8 inches at maturity. That’s a big fish in an aquarium. Most angels I like go much bigger so no can do. Look at 4FordFamily’s 10 ft tank and his fish. They are getting pretty big but his length and width really offset their size. My next tank is acrylic so it can be moved easier and at least 8 ft if not 10 by 30 by 24 high. I have long arms so no problem front to back but once it’s set up I have no need to reach the back anyway. Mine is going to be peninsula style but the back will be almost against the wall.
Just some things to consider as you ponder your choice.
A lot to consider and I will definitely check out that tank and get serious about my fish stocking list. Appreciate it.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E0C7071F-9F0C-4C89-A356-CC708ECBE27E.jpeg

Here’s an underestimated fish, just for the heck of it. My Banner Fish (H. Singularis) is about the size of my hand, and probably not quite fully grown. Very active open water swimmer, eats anything.
Talk about love at first sight! Never seen or heard of this fish but it just earned a spot on the top 10 list for me. Will obviously do my own research on this fine specimen. Thanks for sharing

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starts out with black and white bars, and as it grows, the back and white come together to ultimately form a cool ‘graphite’ look. Don’t try to mix it with the other similar types of Banners, however. This one would be much larger, and aggressive toward them.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents.

I had the RS 750 traded it for the 650P ( setting it up now) that said I have been thinking about a FOWLR butterfly angels and tangs for some time.

so my thoughts are this:
if your going fish only and know that is what you want go big or go home. it the fish you want and it will fill up fast.

I am either have @joe@glasscages build me there 300 or 10' 340
OR
DIY a plywood tank in the 400-1000 gal
plywood aquarium is something to think about. lots of FW peopel use them so there are tried and true if you build em right and we ill not let you build it any other way ;)

those are nice tanks you listed for sure cant go wrong but for fish only I say go bigger.

PS glass cages has a new stand out looks amazing and they can build you a sump to.
worth looking into and pricing out.

let us know what you go with.

PSS dont tell the GF I am thinking about a BIG tank :D

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about love at first sight! Never seen or heard of this fish but it just earned a spot on the top 10 list for me. Will obviously do my own research on this fine specimen. Thanks for sharing

there are so many under rated butterflies IMHO one of the best looking SW fish.
they just eat corals so not many have them. but the good news is price is pretty low.

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread, I was going to say that deep tanks are a challenge for short people (like myself) to clean or reach the bottom when necessary. I like how they look but I don't like to snorkel doing tank chores. :) The dimensions on this tank are better all around, imo.

Reaching from front to back are also a chore, 24" is about the end of my extension. :)
100% agree. I always end up soaking wet and bruises all up and down my arms just from rubbing over the edge, I bruise easily unfortunately.

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my 2 cents.

I had the RS 750 traded it for the 650P ( setting it up now) that said I have been thinking about a FOWLR butterfly angels and tangs for some time.

so my thoughts are this:
if your going fish only and know that is what you want go big or go home. it the fish you want and it will fill up fast.

I am either have @joe@glasscages build me there 300 or 10' 340
OR
DIY a plywood tank in the 400-1000 gal
plywood aquarium is something to think about. lots of FW peopel use them so there are tried and true if you build em right and we ill not let you build it any other way ;)

those are nice tanks you listed for sure cant go wrong but for fish only I say go bigger.

PS glass cages has a new stand out looks amazing and they can build you a sump to.
worth looking into and pricing out.

let us know what you go with.

PSS dont tell the GF I am thinking about a BIG tank :D
I appreciate your 2 cents. thank you!

OP
OP
jpnegrete14

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know what you go with. always curious what reefers do.
Sooooo I am holding off on the dream FOWLR tank for now and instead am setting up a reef tank in my living room which will replace my RS E-170. Drafting my first build thread post right now! I will def reference everyones comments when the day comes for my FOWLR tank. Thank you all

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back