Most Invasive Corals In Your Tank?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the BTAs started off with a couple and now they’ve taken over the whole tank.

Attachments

• F4BC6883-E8A3-45AE-A19B-94A96F3DDB8B.png
    F4BC6883-E8A3-45AE-A19B-94A96F3DDB8B.png
    739 KB · Views: 134

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA's are straight up taking over the tank. I finally figured out a halfway decent technique for getting rid of some of them, but a few have borrowed so deep into a rock that it's impossible to get at the foot. I've been herding them with power heads a bit, trying to catch them in a crawl to remove. I got 6 out and still have about 25 - all from ONE that I got about 18 months ago.

I generally like them - and their main home is a single rock with probably 20 covering it, which looks cool - but a few have gotten too close to some SPS etc.
Head over to the clownfish and anenome section. There is a sticky at the top by eagle Steve. Give that a try.

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I wish I had something that could be called invasive!! 9 months now and nothing is growing out of control. In fact, zoas and mushrooms only growing slowly if at all. And one of the gsp is only growing one way and that's backwards. I'm trying to lower nitrates by daily water changes and nopox. Temperature is at 78° and that's without a heater. All the heat is coming from the skimmer, I think, and can't get it any lower.
Fish and inverts all seem happy but I might stop feeding for a couple of days. Still, after 40 years of planning, I've learnt to be patient and am more than willing to listen to any ideas.
And most people know more than me!!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I wish I had something that could be called invasive!! 9 months now and nothing is growing out of control. In fact, zoas and mushrooms only growing slowly if at all. And one of the gsp is only growing one way and that's backwards. I'm trying to lower nitrates by daily water changes and nopox. Temperature is at 78° and that's without a heater. All the heat is coming from the skimmer, I think, and can't get it any lower.
Fish and inverts all seem happy but I might stop feeding for a couple of days. Still, after 40 years of planning, I've learnt to be patient and am more than willing to listen to any ideas.
I would say at 9 month, your tank is just starting to mature, I'll bet you start seeing more growth assuming everything else is in line.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature is easy to control...get a Inkbird temp controller and plug heater in one side and a small fan in the other.
I have mine set at 78...the fan worked to cool when I had MH lights, but since I have changed to LED the heater kicks on mostly...but the fan comes on in the summer.
Have had only 1 degree swing in years....temp controller, heater and fan.

Attachments

• 20211230_105559.jpg
    20211230_105559.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 143

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperature is easy to control...get a Inkbird temp controller and plug heater in one side and a small fan in the other.
I have mine set at 78...the fan worked to cool when I had MH lights, but since I have changed to LED the heater kicks on mostly...but the fan comes on in the summer.
Have had only 1 degree swing in years....temp controller, heater and fan.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it's an aio tank and I run the skimmer 24/7 and it seems that's where the only heat is coming from.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@muzikalmatt - Interesting that the invasive corals are something of a conundrum - in that they can take over your aquarium but also means that you must be done something very right in your aquarium to get that amazing growth.
I was going to say this as a general statement for everyone with explosive growth (aside from the known problem corals like Kenya tree, gsp, etc). :) LOL.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna go with Pandora zoas lol , but Xenia is a close second. Strangely GSP grows rather slowly besides some branching GSP that I have

Attachments

• DD365982-9DBF-4C64-B01F-3E5EB52DF64B.jpeg
    DD365982-9DBF-4C64-B01F-3E5EB52DF64B.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 109
  • AA9FDA30-3B18-45AB-8011-54CF855A1CC2.jpeg
    AA9FDA30-3B18-45AB-8011-54CF855A1CC2.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 133

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Kenyii tree no doubt- finally out of my life. Literally was a jungle (all along top smothering everything)

660g 3.30b.jpg

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Head over to the clownfish and anenome section. There is a sticky at the top by eagle Steve. Give that a try.

That's pretty awesome. I'll have to give it a try. I would definitely like to thin out the numbers that are just roaming out and about. I'll report back with success, thanks for sharing.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty awesome. I'll have to give it a try. I would definitely like to thin out the numbers that are just roaming out and about. I'll report back with success, thanks for sharing.
It really is as easy as @Eagle_Steve makes it seem.

I've got a few nem cannons of my own and they are constantly on loan, because they work.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back