Most Invasive Corals In Your Tank?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not corals, but here is another vote for BTA's. Started with 1, now I have 5, and 3 more in a box ready to go the the lfs as a donation. Mine never moves, just splits off a new baby every month or two.
20211229_192232.jpg

Marchisio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue cespitularia is by far the worst! If I don't keep it trimmed up it would easily take over
I have this problem now, how do you go about trimming it? i need to do something about it, and soon!

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found that any corals will keep gsp in check? Will montis keep it back? Any way to kill it off?
None that I’ve seen so far. I thought the Palys would give it a good run for it’s money but the GSP is covering them up as well. The only thing that helps is ensure if that the key areas that will prevent it from spreading are shaded.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hollywood stunner. I keep breaking huge chunks off and it continues to regrow and plate out.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although i do have procillapora growing in a few places i dont mind it cause its easy to get rid of. I do have a few montis that i have to trim back almost weekly. BUT I HAVE THESE DARN UGLY GREY PALYS GROWING EVERWHERE. Cant kill them. I manually remove all the ones i can as often as possible, hit the rest with aiptasia killer and scrub the rock with a wire brush. They all come back almost 100% within 3 weeks. Its honestly mind blowing. They came in on the side of a wild acropora colony i got a few years ago, didnt think anything of it. And boy i regret not removing asap all the time. The colony of them didnt get huge but i started seeing a head pop up here, then over there, and then everywhere :mad:

1. How are you getting rid of poci? I've tried covering with epoxy ... only to have it eventually sprout around the edges and require even more epoxy. I've had galaxea coral sting one to death ... only to have it start to resprout several months later. I've chiselled it off the rock where possible, but only a very few are in spots I can do that.
What's your secret?

2. Have you tried injecting a little vinegar into the green palys? I have a few patches on my aquacultured rocks. A few injections into it are enough to make them melt away. An a few more in the stragglers that resprout a few weeks/months later easily and quickly melt them away again. May not totally eradicate them ... but I find it to be a very easy, quick means of control.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocilipora , ( even thought I can’t find any around here )
I hate it!
And it’s a beautiful coral
Pocilipora , ( even thought I can’t find any around here )

Attachments

• 60F033FC-3700-407E-BB74-BC8A73DF17F9.jpeg
    60F033FC-3700-407E-BB74-BC8A73DF17F9.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 3E26893E-6D2C-47FB-BFAE-EAE82653BD50.jpeg
    3E26893E-6D2C-47FB-BFAE-EAE82653BD50.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 59

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How are you getting rid of poci? I've tried covering with epoxy ... only to have it eventually sprout around the edges and require even more epoxy. I've had galaxea coral sting one to death ... only to have it start to resprout several months later. I've chiselled it off the rock where possible, but only a very few are in spots I can do that.
What's your secret?

2. Have you tried injecting a little vinegar into the green palys? I have a few patches on my aquacultured rocks. A few injections into it are enough to make them melt away. An a few more in the stragglers that resprout a few weeks/months later easily and quickly melt them away again. May not totally eradicate them ... but I find it to be a very easy, quick means of control.
1. I let them grow into a small colony then just snap them off at the base and sell it. If i need to kill the base i just put some putty over it

2. I have not tried vinegar, might try that next. Ill try anything at this point lol

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, it's every where, hard to kill and even when you do it comes back. I had some growing on my overflow in my old tank. When I moved it, it was out of the water for about 24 hours. Only half of it died.
Find the right bicolor Blenny and you won't have any pocilipora. I kept buying frags and within days they were dead. Finally caught Eddie munching on one. I tried another one, local reefer was selling them for $5.00/frag) and put it in a completely different spot far away from the blenny's hidey hole and he found it within an hour and was munching away. I rehomed the Blenny and have no issues growing them now. I was certain, even after ICP testing, that something was wrong with my tank. It was just a rogue fish.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving all of the pictures and info in this thread! It's crazy to see what types of corals can grow like crazy in other people's tanks! The green hairy mushrooms are still going nuts in my tank. I peel two off and four more show up. All the while they've climbed the rocks into 300+ PAR. These things are nuts!

1645662933154.png

1645662954576.png

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Hairy Mushrooms , horrible.
They killed a couple of there neighbors in my tanks.
Yes, they are surprisingly vicious! They've taken out other mushrooms (discosomas), killed a stylophora, and even knocked back some xenia I had on this same rockwork at one point.

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green Hairy Mushrooms , horrible.
They killed a couple of there neighbors in my tanks.
Yep. They've even knocked out some nuisance palys in my tank which I thought were otherwise bomb proof.

Unlike GSP, isolating the mushrooms doesn't always work. They've detatched from the rock they're on and moved onto the sand bed and reattached to other rocks.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusting montipora and lepto will quickly take over a rock. Nirvana palys will smother other corals.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. They've even knocked out some nuisance palys in my tank which I thought were otherwise bomb proof.

Unlike GSP, isolating the mushrooms doesn't always work. They've detatched from the rock they're on and moved onto the sand bed and reattached to other rocks.
I recently had that happen in my tank! I caught it before it could grow onto something else and glued it to a frag plug.

1645711982897.png 1645712015719.png 1645712022278.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back