Most Invasive Corals In Your Tank?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a old tank .
I had the same thing happen but didn’t mind it at all .
I’ve been looking for them for over a year .
they seam to have come harder to find .
No one wants them anymore .

Maybe one day rainbow splice or Walt Disney will be considered pests .
If you are close to me, I'd give you this. Trying to make room in my tank and this was originally an accidental frag that I left on the sand and it became its own colony.

20211212_123608.jpg

Becareful what you wish for tho - they are spawning everywhere in my tank. I mentioned this in the other thread but Ilat this point I'd rather prefer aiptasia bc they at least keep my peppermint fed..

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are close to me, I'd give you this. Trying to make room in my tank and this was originally an accidental frag that I left on the sand and it became its own colony.

20211212_123608.jpg

Becareful what you wish for tho - they are spawning everywhere in my tank. I mentioned this in the other thread but Ilat this point I'd rather prefer aiptasia bc they at least keep my peppermint fed..
I think we were through this before . You’re not close to me .

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABSOLUTELY ,Icant give it away- LFS would take Kenya before ever this stuff . I just break pieces and throw away!
Yeah, I was doing the same thing.......once it encrusts there is no stopping it lol.

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although i do have procillapora growing in a few places i dont mind it cause its easy to get rid of. I do have a few montis that i have to trim back almost weekly. BUT I HAVE THESE DARN UGLY GREY PALYS GROWING EVERWHERE. Cant kill them. I manually remove all the ones i can as often as possible, hit the rest with aiptasia killer and scrub the rock with a wire brush. They all come back almost 100% within 3 weeks. Its honestly mind blowing. They came in on the side of a wild acropora colony i got a few years ago, didnt think anything of it. And boy i regret not removing asap all the time. The colony of them didnt get huge but i started seeing a head pop up here, then over there, and then everywhere :mad:
Try Franks Aiptasia killer; it coats the rock like plaster

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True - I’ve been breaking off large sections and then covering that area with live rocks to “try” and stop it’s spreading lol!

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green mushrooms and Zoa's for me. In the process of a redo right now due to explosion of these invasive corals

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@muzikalmatt - Interesting that the invasive corals are something of a conundrum - in that they can take over your aquarium but also means that you must be done something very right in your aquarium to get that amazing growth.
That's a great point @PeterC99 ! Perhaps invasive isn't the best term as it has a negative connotation. As others have pointed out in this thread, some would love to have the kind of out of control growth others are experiencing.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was successful in creating a mushroom garden softy tank, that was my intention when I set my current tank up around 2010.

Green striped and red mushrooms are probably covering 50 percent of the rock work of my 29 gallon. I think the reds may even overtake the greens. The green striped killed off a small rock of a green bumpy variety, they killed off a frag of GSP, recently got too close to cyphestrea killing some tissue. The green striped are more invasive for me since they bud off and wind up anywhere, usually stuck in zoa colonies.

One positive is I have ZERO aiptasia growth where the mushrooms cover. I currently manage other areas with Frank's F-aiptasia, kalk paste and a stainess steel straw.

I'm tempted to try something stingy like chalice to beat them back in areas.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green hairy rhodactis mushrooms and bubble tip anemone that multiply like rabbits
IMG_2991.png

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue cespitularia is by far the worst! If I don't keep it trimmed up it would easily take over
Oh oh... I just added one of these. I read a couple articles (not here) that it's a slower growing type. Maybe I better pull it while it's still the size of my thumb nail.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh oh... I just added one of these. I read a couple articles (not here) that it's a slower growing type. Maybe I better pull it while it's still the size of my thumb nail.
I almost wish I didn't add it to my tank at this point lol. The wife loves it tho so I have to keep a small colony of it

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost wish I didn't add it to my tank at this point lol. The wife loves it tho so I have to keep a small colony of it
I guess I will ride it out. It's isolated for now. Who knows, maybe I will be back on this thread a year from now saying "I wish had not added Cespitularia in 2021". LOL

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back