Most reliable heater

jimsreef17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the most reliable built heater? Everyone's favorite? I'm looking in the 300w area.

Reef Dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had really good luck with Eheim Jager heaters. I've been running 2 of these 300-watters for the last 5 years. I'm thinking about replacing them with new Jager's just to be proactive, but I've never had an issue with them. I run them on a reefkeeper controller, using one as the primary and one as the backup.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRStv or the BRS 52 weeks of reefing did a video where they treated several different models for accuracy.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I would recommend 2 150 watts just in case one sticks on it wont fry your tank. I have had good success with Eheim Jagers

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most reliable heater is one plugged into a controller....whether it's a total aquarium controller or one dedicated to just the heater....like a Ranco. The reason you need the controller is that every heater, regardless of brand, will fail. And the failure that is most dangerous is the "Stuck ON" failure, where the tank temperature spikes. A controller will save you from this type of failure.

That said, my favorite heater is Eheim Jager. They have the thickest glass. The only negative is that they are long....so make sure it will fit.

Last edited:

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with using a controller (my understanding is that either Ranco or Inkbird probes are not saltwater safe and should be covered with heat-shrink tubing), Eheim Jager heaters, and ideally using multiple small heaters (admittedly, I just have 1 heater on a Ranco). I have also heard that titanium heaters can be reliable, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think that they are better than Eheim Jager. The length of Jagers is a pain, I will admit (I have one that really should be 4" shorter to fit well in my sump!).

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most reliable heater is one plugged into a controller....whether it's a total aquarium controller or one dedicated to just the heater....like a Ranco. The reason you need the controller is that every heater, regardless of brand, will fail. And the failure that is most dangerous is the "Stuck ON" failure, where the tank temperature spikes. A controller will save you from this type of failure.

That said, my favorite heater is Eheim Jager. They have the thickest glass. The only negative is that they are long....so make sure it will fit.

Is this model reccomended or another ?

https://www.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-11...keywords=ranco+aquarium+temperature+controler

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to wire a plug socket to it. I used to use them for reptiles but always bought it prewired. I think prewired they are about $85.00.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehiem's are good, I'd still plug into a controller. I prefer the titanium heaters, a nbit mroe expensive but safer.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always run a controller on them even if its just the inexpensive heater only one just in case it sticks. And they don't make things like they used to..... remember that. But ehiem is reliable

MapleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna have to put a vote in for cobalt neo-therms!! I’ve been using them for a few years now and am very happy. In my new build I just installed two 150watt heaters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found a reliable heater unfortuntaely....I have had the most expensive as well as the cheapest ones fail. As redfishbluefish stated, just by any cheap heater(s) and plug them into a controller.

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your just doing the heater under a controller id use this one. It also has a port for a cooling fan or chiller as nice bonus.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/thermostat-temperature-controller-ink-bird.html

Thank you, that is perfect. So I can either run this as the primary controller bybassing the thermostat on the heater or let the heater run as normal and then have this as an emergency shutoff in case it gets too high. I spent the money on cobalt heaters so I may let them run..

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup basically it jyst adds a redundancy. If the heater breaks on then this will shut it off and visa versa

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a paticuler brand and type of heater that responds better with controllers ?

How correct are these controllers to set temps ?

I'm watching youtube vids on the inkbird.
Is there more than one model ?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a paticuler brand and type of heater that responds better with controllers ?

How correct are these controllers to set temps ?

I'm watching youtube vids on the inkbird.
Is there more than one model ?
No, any heater works just as good as the next in how they respond with controllers. All the controller does is shut the power on and off, based on temps. You set the minimum and maximum temp you want (based on reliable thermometers) and the controller keeps the temp in that range.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back