Most reliable heater

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with using a controller (my understanding is that either Ranco or Inkbird probes are not saltwater safe and should be covered with heat-shrink tubing), Eheim Jager heaters, and ideally using multiple small heaters (admittedly, I just have 1 heater on a Ranco). I have also heard that titanium heaters can be reliable, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think that they are better than Eheim Jager. The length of Jagers is a pain, I will admit (I have one that really should be 4" shorter to fit well in my sump!).
The inkbird controllers are advertised as safe for saltwater. I've been running an inkbird and two DIGITEN controllers for about 5 months and no issues with corrosion so far. And I being that heat shrink is open on both ends I don't see what that would help. If you were trying to seal it off I would try dipping it in silicone or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SDVLBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Pre-...99&sr=1-10&keywords=inkbird+heater+controller

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager heaters.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whem my wife was petsmart and pickup a 200w Eheim Hager. That sucker is like 9 feet long !
I don't know if it'll fit in my sump...

Whay are these so long ???

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whem my wife was petsmart and pickup a 200w Eheim Hager. That sucker is like 9 feet long !
I don't know if it'll fit in my sump...

Whay are these so long ???

For sure, I was like W T F when my 300w arrived. I ended up putting it in the overflow area.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inkbird controllers are advertised as safe for saltwater. I've been running an inkbird and two DIGITEN controllers for about 5 months and no issues with corrosion so far. And I being that heat shrink is open on both ends I don't see what that would help. If you were trying to seal it off I would try dipping it in silicone or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SDVLBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Pre-...99&sr=1-10&keywords=inkbird+heater+controller

That's different from what I've read on their website in the past; it would be.a welcome change to have a saltwater proof probe. For my Ranco, they crimped the tip Tom make that waterproof, and on the hear end simply shrank the tubing to coat the probe wiring. I've read about using silicone, but as ETCSupply offered free heat shrink wrapping Tom the probe I went that route.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's different from what I've read on their website in the past; it would be.a welcome change to have a saltwater proof probe. For my Ranco, they crimped the tip Tom make that waterproof, and on the hear end simply shrank the tubing to coat the probe wiring. I've read about using silicone, but as ETCSupply offered free heat shrink wrapping Tom the probe I went that route.

I could have swore I read on the amazon add that it was for sure OK for salt but here is a faq about the unit on the manufacturers site. They say it "should" be fine. lol Not the most reassuring verbiage but there you go.

http://www.ink-bird.com/support-faqs-itc306.html

I've had mine submerged for over 4 months and no corrosion yet. I had one of the DIGITEN units rust on me but it was just one of the two units I got and the probe looked like it wasn't crimped on there right so I just replaced it with an inkbird probe and I've been watching the other DIGITEN probe and no corrosion so far.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Aqueon Pros for years!! They are the most stable I’ve ever had and totally durable. I will not use anything else.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we should start a new thread on these three controllers mentioned here ! Lol...
It would be nice to use two or three heaters on a tank, hooked up to one of these controllers. I'm always worried about heaters.

Out of these three, which works the best and is higher in quality, ?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All heaters suck. You name a brand, it's died on me. But here's a few general tips on heaters that, IMHO, apply to everybody who has a tank of water in their life -- regardless of reef, planted, turtle tank, whatever.

1) You want 300w of heating power? Get two 150 watt heaters. One could die, having two sets some redundancy. And most importantly, if you have a big single 300w heater that dies being stuck ON, it's going to cook your tank -- but a 150w that dies stuck on, is way less likely to do this.

2) Always have a backup heater if you live somewhere cold. Need 300w of heating power? Buy 3 150w heaters, use two, put one in the closet.

3) A lot of people replace their heaters every few years.. This is a potential crap shoot though, because if you put in two new heaters every year, the chance of getting a heater that will die goes up in theory.. I say this because I've had new heaters die on me way more often than old heaters.

4) This was just a poll of the day question. The top two answers are Ebo Jager, and Finnex. Personally, I use Finnex heaters, because my last two ebo blew up on me and killed a 9" Buttikofferi.

5) Your heater will die -- How bad are things gonna be when heater dies suddenly? Best to have one on hand :D

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All heaters suck. You name a brand, it's died on me. But here's a few general tips on heaters that, IMHO, apply to everybody who has a tank of water in their life -- regardless of reef, planted, turtle tank, whatever.

1) You want 300w of heating power? Get two 150 watt heaters. One could die, having two sets some redundancy. And most importantly, if you have a big single 300w heater that dies being stuck ON, it's going to cook your tank -- but a 150w that dies stuck on, is way less likely to do this.

2) Always have a backup heater if you live somewhere cold. Need 300w of heating power? Buy 3 150w heaters, use two, put one in the closet.

3) A lot of people replace their heaters every few years.. This is a potential crap shoot though, because if you put in two new heaters every year, the chance of getting a heater that will die goes up in theory.. I say this because I've had new heaters die on me way more often than old heaters.

4) This was just a poll of the day question. The top two answers are Ebo Jager, and Finnex. Personally, I use Finnex heaters, because my last two ebo blew up on me and killed a 9" Buttikofferi.

5) Your heater will die -- How bad are things gonna be when heater dies suddenly? Best to have one on hand :D

I don’t think enough reefers do 1 & 2. I never go above 75w heaters, and I buy multiple of them. IMO, because the load is split through out my system, I don’t have a massive hot spot that takes a while to cool down and simultaneously adding more heat back into the tank causing a spike in temp.

Again, I find multiple heaters spread out helps minimize highs and lows and contributes greatly to very stable temps.

Guys that are buying massive 200 or 300w heaters are just asking for trouble.

Back