Mother of Pearl pics!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an iPhone pic of mine, I'll get a better pic over the weekend. You can see the structure and coloring though, it is pink at the base and purple, with a blue sheen. The blue polyps turned sort of a green color in my tank, hopefully they turn back the royal blue they were when I got it after I move it over this weekend. Honestly, it is a really nice and from what I have seem unique hard coral.

18e9df8f-3b61-5184.jpg

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some growth shots, it is really getting nice in my tank. Mine has two different color polyps green in some areas and blue in others, sort of has a Christmas tree type growth pattern. I'm horrible at takin photos an this one is the worst because of it's location directly under my halide, the photo does it absolutely no justice.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320818046.649217.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320818046.649217.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 335
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320818066.077314.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1320818066.077314.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 365

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some growth shots, it is really getting nice in my tank. Mine has two different color polyps green in some areas and blue in others, sort of has a Christmas tree type growth pattern. I'm horrible at takin photos an this one is the worst because of it's location directly under my halide, the photo does it absolutely no justice.

Looked up this thread again since WT has posted more frags available. This MOP looks identical to my Original Miyagi tort which also has a subtle hue to it.

39b07471.jpg

PolandSpring

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know someone who got the mop directly from wt. he has his under led lighting, and it has that amazing hue to it. looks very close to the original mop picture from wt

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know someone who got the mop directly from wt. he has his under led lighting, and it has that amazing hue to it. looks very close to the original mop picture from wt

Do you know what kind of LED's that its under? Whats the placement? I just bought a MOP frag from what the heck and want to think ahead on placement.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what kind of LED's that its under? Whats the placement? I just bought a MOP frag from what the heck and want to think ahead on placement.

It likes a lot of light

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll get the broken pic links fixed and update how my current frag is going. It's high up getting blasted by a 250 MH and it is no where near the WT picture. Green base, blue/purple tips. No blue/purple plasma color. I think we can safely conclude that the picture was doctored to create hype. Unless an updated picture can be provided, there is no reason this coral is demanding such a high price IMO.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. sorry to hear bro. my friend got the tyree hell fire when it first came out. I went over to see what the fuss was.
Me: haaaa thats just a red mille i can get as a leg mariculture colony at any lfs for 60.
friend: duuuude brian, shuuuut up man, i know.
Me. hahaha, sorry dude
the lesson is, always see another pic from a hobbyist before buying it

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. sorry to hear bro. my friend got the tyree hell fire when it first came out. I went over to see what the fuss was.
Me: haaaa thats just a red mille i can get as a leg mariculture colony at any lfs for 60.
friend: duuuude brian, shuuuut up man, i know.
Me. hahaha, sorry dude
the lesson is, always see another pic from a hobbyist before buying it

Agreed. Or better yet see it in person if possible.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My colony is almost colored up again after the swings, I'll have a top down in a few weeks.

It's not worth anything over $40 for a 1-2" frag. Anyone interested in it....lol

Mine came from Jose Cass about 2 years ago now.

I honestly like my "blue tort" from Copps better, it's got a nice blue color like the O tort but grows in the table shape like the MOP(austra)

Last edited:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madreef, why are you trying to undersell my FATHER of PEARL? thats not cool. maybe i should have posted a pic but then again, my pics are accurate so it wouldn't be a good idea. rofl.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matt, not hating or anything. you have a nice colony but i think everything under led's becomes stunning....:kiss:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been duped in the past with these poor quality photos. I don't think its right that some ppl post misleading pics of their corals when they know very well it isn't accurate at all and sell it off at a premium.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. that's why i only shot in 14k halides phoenix bulbs. only in my last for sale thread i ADDED LED photos since alot of reefers seem to have all blue led for night viewing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back