Mother of Pearl pics!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mother of pearl has a blue iridescence all over with purple background at the tips, green near the base, and creamy color in the middle. It has green polyps near the base and glowing blue polyps at the tips, it really is an extremely nice coral. It has thin tubular branches that grow out almost like a little kid draws a Christmas tree. I do not think the orginal photo is doctored, as mine looks really nice and similar. If you look at my first iPhone photo you can see the blue iridescence. If there is one thing I have learned about this hobby it is haters will always find a way to hate.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go again!!! To the guy who wants to sell his mop for $40 I'll buy it ! It's a sick coral I have many le sps and this is one of nicest !! So to u le haters there is a thread for that this is a mop show off thread!

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matt, I hope i didn't offend and i wasn't hating at all. you have a beautiful colony, i know bct15's MOP is beautiful. and i know he's super honest. i was hinting i need a frag to see for myself> :xd:

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stezzy that's a nice chalice in ur avatar what is it?
tyree pink
IMG_7297.jpg

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been duped in the past with these poor quality photos. I don't think its right that some ppl post misleading pics of their corals when they know very well it isn't accurate at all and sell it off at a premium.

LOL I cant agree more...I just got into it with a vendor about this.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a quick pic, it's got most of the green base colors and the purple is coming back. I would guess it will be glowing in a month or so.

MOP-acro.jpg

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a MOP purchased directly from what the heck. Looks very similar to the original Miyagi tort but it is not identicle.
MOP.jpg

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple other corals for comparison. BTW, the oregon tort is nest to the MOP in these pictures.

Oregon Tort
OregonTort.jpg

Original Miyagi Tort
MiyagiTort_DSC2916.jpg

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
matt, I hope i didn't offend and i wasn't hating at all. you have a beautiful colony, i know bct15's MOP is beautiful. and i know he's super honest. i was hinting i need a frag to see for myself> :xd:

No man, you didn't offend me. In fact I'm not offended at all, just a tad bit anoid. I just get sick and tired of folks trolling into threads like this one and claiming their frag their buddy gave them that they wouldn't sell for more than forty dollars is the same thing as someones prized LE piece, or they saw a similar piece on eBay at some point in time. I dont know if they are trying to bash the coral and coral owner or make it seem as if they got a good deal, all I know is it is disrespectful. It is equivalent to buying a black four door 89 honda civic and saying it is the same thing as your neighbors black Lexus LS because they are both cars that run on gasoline engines that are black and made by Japanese auto manufacturers. Truth is, get ready for it, though they may share some similarities they are not the same thing. I know it is a difficult concept for some people to wrap their head around, but if you can't understand it then either keep your mouth shut or go disuss it in another thread. At least that is my view on it, unfortunately though when on the Internet people lose all sense of decency because the human to human interaction is minimized. They do not necessarily considered consequences of their actions, be it on them or the people they interact with.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I aint bashing you Bct15 for buying the mop at all. if you like it, than thats awesome because i buy expensive corals that are nice to me too. what bothers me is the fact that the same old photoshopped picture is used to give the impression to the buyer that the mop will look like that in our tanks. mop is a nice coral but i think the price set is based on the old pic. You tell me, if you saw Sonnus's pic would you pay 250 for a 1/2" frag? some would but most wouldn't because it looks similar to a common tort. (no offense sonnus, btw, thanks for that clarifying pic, it's a nice coral for sure). I love hype because its fun but when a hype is outright misleading then ill speak my mind especially when there isn't a update pic being posted on a sale thread. I'll speak my mind as a potential customer.

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sonnus is that the otort you got from me a year+ ago at the Ventura swap?

Nice side by side comparison pics.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stezzy your telling me that when u get one of these new hot chalices for 1k an eye it's gonna look like the pic come on man u my friend r a littel hypocritical that was why I asked about ur avatar pic ! Looks like a watermelon chalice to me! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I see this all the time on here with sps! What makes chalices any different?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I aint bashing you Bct15 for buying the mop at all. if you like it, than thats awesome because i buy expensive corals that are nice to me too. what bothers me is the fact that the same old photoshopped picture is used to give the impression to the buyer that the mop will look like that in our tanks. mop is a nice coral but i think the price set is based on the old pic. You tell me, if you saw Sonnus's pic would you pay 250 for a 1/2" frag? some would but most wouldn't because it looks similar to a common tort. (no offense sonnus, btw, thanks for that clarifying pic, it's a nice coral for sure). I love hype because its fun but when a hype is outright misleading then ill speak my mind especially when there isn't a update pic being posted on a sale thread. I'll speak my mind as a potential customer.

Well said I agree with that 100%

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sonnus is that the otort you got from me a year+ ago at the Ventura swap?

Nice side by side comparison pics.

Yeah, that's the one. It's growing real fast for an Oregon tort. I think the extra large frag helped it off to a fast start. Thanks again!

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tell me, if you saw Sonnus's pic would you pay 250 for a 1/2" frag? some would but most wouldn't because it looks similar to a common tort. (no offense sonnus, btw, thanks for that clarifying pic, it's a nice coral for sure). I love hype because its fun but when a hype is outright misleading then ill speak my mind especially when there isn't a update pic being posted on a sale thread. I'll speak my mind as a potential customer.

No offense taken. BTW, this was a $125 frag when it was first introduced a few years ago! There is probably a MOP bubble in the market right now :)

I personally think the MOP is a little nicer than the original Miyagi tort which is one of my all-time favorites.

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally an accurate grown out picture of the MOP arises!!! And with side by side comparisons. I agree it looks nothing like the vendor's but nevertheless a beautiful coral similar to the miyagi tort. Thanks for the sweet pic Sonnus!

Here's a MOP purchased directly from what the heck. Looks very similar to the original Miyagi tort but it is not identicle.
MOP.jpg

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touch up is one thing, but deceive is another IMO. Some vendors are more known for it than others. To me its almost an insult when photos are so enhanced that it makes me wonder if they think I'm that stupid to believe it.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 62 75.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back