Mother of Pearl pics!

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a MOP purchased directly from what the heck. Looks very similar to the original Miyagi tort but it is not identicle.
MOP.jpg

that's a nice looking colony but why are people paying $250 for an acro that looks like the $35 Cali Tort?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Touch up is one thing, but deceive is another IMO. Some vendors are more known for it than others. To me its almost an insult when photos are so enhanced that it makes me wonder if they think I'm that stupid to believe it.

+1. I dont even click on a couple unnamed sponsor threads anymore, there's simply too many other really Solid vendors on R2R who post straight up representations of their pieces.

sonnus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a nice looking colony but why are people paying $250 for an acro that looks like the $35 Cali Tort?

It's nicer than a Cali tort but I get your point. $250 for any acro is crazy but people pay it. I rarely buy nice chalices anymore because that is even further out of control!

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has completely gotten derailed, it was a thread for people to post pics of their mop for you to compare but has turned into a mop bashing thread...I don't see why anybody would want to even post a pic of their colonies in here anymore. You guys that are criticizing it to death ever seen it in person? Like I said before mine looks similar to the original pic, not as intense but very close.

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stezzy your telling me that when u get one of these new hot chalices for 1k an eye it's gonna look like the pic come on man u my friend r a littel hypocritical that was why I asked about ur avatar pic ! Looks like a watermelon chalice to me! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I see this all the time on here with sps! What makes chalices any different?

Touch up is one thing, but deceive is another IMO. Some vendors are more known for it than others. To me its almost an insult when photos are so enhanced that it makes me wonder if they think I'm that stupid to believe it.
i think Billy said it well. Never said the mop was not a nice coral. I haven't seen it with sps here or I probably missed it. Matt, you should check out the sps threads on RC. LOL

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went on a show off thread for the dynamite chalice and said what u guys r saying I'd get my head bitten off ?

Just would like to know what the difference is ?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I went on a show off thread for the dynamite chalice and said what u guys r saying I'd get my head bitten off ?

You'd actually have somewhat of a valid point if you did, since all kinds of similar chalices came out of the woodwork after the Dynamite was "released." I personally don't see any bashing in here. There's going to be opinions voiced in any photo thread.

OP
OP
Gamble

Gamble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has completely gotten derailed, it was a thread for people to post pics of their mop for you to compare but has turned into a mop bashing thread...I don't see why anybody would want to even post a pic of their colonies in here anymore. You guys that are criticizing it to death ever seen it in person? Like I said before mine looks similar to the original pic, not as intense but very close.

I wouldn't say fully derailed...... I started the thread because after I got this frag from what the heck... the first thing that came to my mind is what the heck, this doesn't look anything like the picture of their "colony." So I started a thread to see what everyone elses looked like grown out, apparently many feel the same way as I do.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The difference is the dynamite chalice is amazing looking and not all that common. This type of acropora, while nice, isn't something extraordinary IMO. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

cthedaytrader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say fully derailed...... I started the thread because after I got this frag from what the heck... the first thing that came to my mind is what the heck, this doesn't look anything like the picture of their "colony." So I started a thread to see what everyone elses looked like grown out, apparently many feel the same way as I do.

You have had it now for 6+ months now, what do you think of it now? Do you still have it? Can you or have you posted a current pic of it?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back