Motorized ball valve idea

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to them before, the valve body and stem are both SS304, I would be careful around salt.
personally I never use stainless steel valves, always PVC schedule 80 valves hopefully. They do make motorized retrofit for manual ball valves now what they cost your guess is good as mine

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for rodi top off, should be fine & filtered. I'm going to use it to shut off outside air to a CO2 scrubber for PH maintenance tied into recycled air from my skimmer. Good to know 304 stainless is junk for saltwater. I will commit that to memory. Which ones are proven salt safe if one wants to replace a Neptune SV-1? I guess a sch80 w/ one of those conversion servos?

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's for rodi top off, should be fine & filtered. I'm going to use it to shut off outside air to a CO2 scrubber for PH maintenance tied into recycled air from my skimmer. Good to know 304 stainless is junk for saltwater. I will commit that to memory. Which ones are proven salt safe if one wants to replace a Neptune SV-1? I guess a sch80 w/ one of those conversion servos?

All I know that are reef safe metal wise are SS316 and Titanium, plus PVC is good.

I am going to try a MettleAir solenoid and see how it goes. May be in the same boat if it burns out.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I got this up and running.

Bought this valve: US. Solid SKU JFMSV00027 2 wire auto return stainless ball valve, 1/4" NPT.
These adapters: PRTFITMC14M14Q10PK 1/4" Male NPT to quick connect 1/4" hose
A 12vdc 5amp power supply I had laying around
Float Sensor model DP5200
and a tank mounted sensor holder from Printed Reefing Solutions.

Total cost, oh, about $40.

A bit of speaker wire, a few shrink fit tubes, a couple spring terminals, and presto:

Ball valve is after a manual 1/4" valve, and before a float valve, directly on the line from my RO/DI system.
When energized, ball valve opens. I've got it plugged into my Apex.
When power fails, ball valve closes.
When float valve rises, breaking connection, ball valve closes. Float is in my sump, an inch higher than normal water level.

So... My float valve actuated ATO, as long as the float valve is working, runs on the old fashioned idea of a mechanical float valve. Ball valve stays open all the time. I'm considering setting the Apex up so that it only opens the valve, say, 20 minutes, every 3 hours? Something to keep my RO/DI system from constantly starting and stopping... Haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

If the float valve were to get stuck open, which they all do, eventually... water level in the sump compartment rises an inch... probably 1.5 gallons. Float valve trips, ball valve closes, water stops flowing.

I've got a 2nd high level sensor, attached via breakout box to my Apex. If all of the above fails, the high level sensor on the Apex will kill the power, causing the ball valve to close. It also sends me an email alert.

The only way I see this failing is if the ball valve fails OPEN, and the float valve fails OPEN, and my home internet is down.

Oh, and there's a battery operated water alarm on the floor under the sump :)

I think I'm about as safe as a direct RO/DI ATO system can make me.

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! That description dumbed it down for guys like me. I can follow that direction. If Momma takes a tub, shut it down w/ loss of pressure & have a captain looking over the tank?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bought this valve: US. Solid SKU JFMSV00027 2 wire auto return stainless ball valve, 1/4" NPT.

A bit of speaker wire, a few shrink fit tubes, a couple spring terminals, and presto:

Ball valve is after a manual 1/4" valve, and before a float valve, directly on the line from my RO/DI system.
When float valve rises, breaking connection, ball valve closes. Float is in my sump, an inch higher than normal water level.

So... My float valve actuated ATO, as long as the float valve is working, runs on the old fashioned idea of a mechanical float valve. Ball valve stays open all the time. I'm considering setting the Apex up so that it only opens the valve, say, 20 minutes, every 3 hours? Something to keep my RO/DI system from constantly starting and stopping... Haven't made up my mind on that one yet.

If the float valve were to get stuck open, which they all do, eventually... water level in the sump compartment rises an inch... probably 1.5 gallons. Float valve trips, ball valve closes, water stops flowing.

I've got a 2nd high level sensor, attached via breakout box to my Apex. If all of the above fails, the high level sensor on the Apex will kill the power, causing the ball valve to close. It also sends me an email alert.

The only way I see this failing is if the ball valve fails OPEN, and the float valve fails OPEN, and my home internet is down.

Well done!

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add in even more redundancies through apex programming. At one time I counted 11 redundancies I had for my direct ato.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have a more less technical solution but If i remember correctly your house is on a slab and you do not access to all of your plumbing. If i am wrong. you should create a Closed loop system of 3/4 piple thru your house Returning back to the well pumps tank with a Closed loop pressure pump.. At each fixture reduce the piping to 3/8 with water saving spigots faucets and so on.. At the Rodi reduce to 1/4 and put a booster pump at this location for your RO/DI..
Make the loop as long as you can. This will give the well pump more time to keep up.

There is only so much water being supplied thru your house you need to either increase that volume , Something the loop will mimic or reduce the water at the point of water service.. a manifold system with pressure regulation going out to each fixture could also do this but would prob be more complicated . this is the method i use in multi story homes. Closed loop systems for low water volume . Remember Water Volume , Water pressure and water regulation are 3 separate issues...
Hope this helps and is worded well enough to help you make the right choice

Its probable more work then you intend on doing.. but i hate water volume issues... This is what you are having not a pressure issue ..

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Greybeard, you are a beast! Did you time the close speed from the time it is triggered?

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! That description dumbed it down for guys like me. I can follow that direction. If Momma takes a tub, shut it down w/ loss of pressure & have a captain looking over the tank?
Do I detect a note of sarcasm? :D

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greybeard, you are a beast! Did you time the close speed from the time it is triggered?
Time it? No... but it's fairly fast. A few seconds. At the speed of my RO/DI flow, not enough to make any difference.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting an old thread... Something that showed up in 'Ask BRS' on FB reminded me of this.

3 months in use. No problems as of yet. The thought occurs to me... somebody ought to market this thing.

A cheap power supply, a reversable float switch, and an auto close motorized ball valve, with 1/4" push connect fittings. All pre-wired, ready to go. I think I spent about $40 on mine... if you were buying in bulk, I'm sure that number could be drastically reduced. With a bit of creative wiring, you could even provide leads to connect it to an APEX binary input, so it can be monitored and alarmed, as needed (mine is wired that way).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back