Mounting Toadstool Frags

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut up my green-polypled toadstool--it was HUGE! I got 93, 1" or larger frags out of it (I paid $25 for my 1st 1" frag). What a PITA having to mount every single one on a plug/rubble. If I toss a bunch of rubble in the frag tank I have them in (on the sand), will a lot of them attach by themselves?

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes as long as thay are near the rubble then yes, would you ship an un mounted one? and if yes how much total for 2day

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know whats funny; everyone told me you can't glue toadstool frags when i first asked about it. Well i've glued about 30 pieces together to plugs and have never had one walk off. 93 is a huge amount of frags. I'm considering getting rid of mine because it is just getting too big, these suckers just never stop growing.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use a little fishing line and a needle and "sew them onto the rubble. It speeds things up a bit then when they attach you just cut the line with a blade and pull it right out of the coral, doesn't hurt them a bit. I just mounted a bunch of yellow fiji leathers that way.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, sewing them on is the easiest way I find. It holds them still so they can attach without being moved by snails, fish, and current.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffer,
You can glue them, but there is a chance that they slime up and the glue does not stick.
You can use bridal viel or netting and cover the coral and rubble and they will attach.
You can sew them on.
You can glue a plastic toothpick to the rock and stick them on the toothpick.
You can let them be and hope for many to attach themselves.
You can loosely rubberband them to the rocks. Tight rubberbands just frag them again! LOL

There are many ways.
In a healthy system, I would do a water change due to the chemicals they are releasing and double your carbon as you fragged quite a bit.
If water quality stays on the good side, you will be attached in less than 10 days or sooner.
Hope this helps Jen,
Rich

120inwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time in a rubble tray they should attach so you could glue or eopoxy to a bigger rock.

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted all 90 of them over the weekend. I guess they were fragged long enough ago & healed well enough that they glued quite easily. So far, only 1 of them has come unglued.

They're going fast, at $10 ea.

Last edited:

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that price is great!

I've always glued leathers and rarely had a problem. One or two might pop off but no big deal.

My green polyp'd toadstool is sad looking. All drooped over and faded. Has been like that for months now. He used to look so perky and colorful. :cry:

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, even when you sell 93 frags for $10 you get some sort of a profit off of the huge amount of $25 that was initially spent!

OP
OP
Pufferpunk

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just traded off 10 of them to one LFS & 4 more to another, for credit. I'm kinda liking this! Also, when folks stop for their cheap frag they always buy something else while they're here. ;)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back