Moved my GSP yesterday off of sand bed and now it’s not open...

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still on my first 3 corals. As instructed by the guy at the coral shop, he told me to leave them down on the sand for 4 weeks then I can move them up. Yesterday was the 4 week mark. The other 2 corals I moved reopend within a short time after placing them where I wanted them. But the GSP has been closed since yesterday morning. I’ve been told these guys can be temperamental. How long should I wait, before I try another spot? I moved hi. From sand to half way up the tank on the top of a rock slightly off center of the top. My concern was at the top he was pretty close to one of my wave makers? Is there a chance he’s still too close to the wave maker? Just curious. I know you ha e to be patient but I also don’t want to damage or kill it.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I move mine, it usually reopens in a couple of hours. When I first added it to the tank, it took 3 - 4 days before it opened. Just be patient. GSP is near indestructible. It can survive almost anything.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still on my first 3 corals. As instructed by the guy at the coral shop, he told me to leave them down on the sand for 4 weeks then I can move them up. Yesterday was the 4 week mark. The other 2 corals I moved reopend within a short time after placing them where I wanted them. But the GSP has been closed since yesterday morning. I’ve been told these guys can be temperamental. How long should I wait, before I try another spot? I moved hi. From sand to half way up the tank on the top of a rock slightly off center of the top. My concern was at the top he was pretty close to one of my wave makers? Is there a chance he’s still too close to the wave maker? Just curious. I know you ha e to be patient but I also don’t want to damage or kill it.
Don’t worry brother that stuff is very hearty but it is also like A wife it is very finicky all you did was tick it off and it will stay shut could be two days I’ve had it happen to me don’t worry it will get back to normal You will see in the picture it was closed for a day or two and then as you can see right back to normal

A0D3A2BF-52EF-4957-997A-B826F730A0D0.jpeg 6FFAC298-5A82-4495-AF43-B0DD9C92BFFA.jpeg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
p.s. GSP love water flow...make sure they are getting a nice flow over them and they'll reopen faster.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry brother that stuff is very hearty but it is also like A wife it is very finicky all you did was **** it off and it will stay shut could be two days I’ve had it happen to me don’t worry it will get back to normal You will see in the picture it was closed for a day or two and then as you can see right back to normal

A0D3A2BF-52EF-4957-997A-B826F730A0D0.jpeg 6FFAC298-5A82-4495-AF43-B0DD9C92BFFA.jpeg
So if it dosent re open in like a week I should try another spot?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it dosent re open in like a week I should try another spot?
Just make sure you got a nice good flow going across it and it will do it’s thing don’t overthink it brother and the only reason I say that is because I’ve learned the hard way believe me I’m no expert

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also can vouch for these guys not being picky with flow, i have one chunk that gets hardly no flow and is always open, and another chunk of it is on the back wall of my tank directly infront of my wavemaker. one of mine closed for 3 days after my urchin knocked him off of a rock but had no issues, just didnt wanna open back up

Seaaquariumdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what type of coral you have now or get in the future time is of the essence. We sometimes forget these are living creatures. We have to give them time to adapt. A lot of people will move a coral and then move it again and again because it doesn’t look happy. Corals are very adaptive creatures just give them time and they will flourish. Knowing the corals needs are important. For example it may be difficult to house a coral that like high flow with a low flow coral. It is possible with the right size tank and rock layout and pump placement. Steady parameters are key. Always thought of doing a bare bottom tank with gsp on the tank bottoms to resemble grass. It would have plenty of food to. Lol.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what type of coral you have now or get in the future time is of the essence. We sometimes forget these are living creatures. We have to give them time to adapt. A lot of people will move a coral and then move it again and again because it doesn’t look happy. Corals are very adaptive creatures just give them time and they will flourish. Knowing the corals needs are important. For example it may be difficult to house a coral that like high flow with a low flow coral. It is possible with the right size tank and rock layout and pump placement. Steady parameters are key. Always thought of doing a bare bottom tank with gsp on the tank bottoms to resemble grass. It would have plenty of food to. Lol.
My GSP is looking good today, I love the front yard look

7EA09F8E-4FCD-40ED-84C8-A3AEF22E3E94.jpeg 0E71D0E0-4B89-406A-AA1E-C5CCA7D9A3E7.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back