Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I thought that vat was Seafood Gumbo. :rolleyes:

Thank you, I needed that smile. If we ever connect at a food fest, I want to eat your clam luiguine. I should say, I do gumbo but I enjoy my shrimp creole and crawfish étouffée.

PSS. The vat is full of pods and seaweed, Red Ogo, that should make a good stock. After that, I listen to Justin Wilson for the recipe. First you made da rue, then you add the Trinity: onions, peppers and celery. Because I don’t grow celery, I use zucchini.
Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now im hungry. Being from SF, our traditional holiday meal is cioppino. Hard to find live dungeness crabs in Austin.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The teacher used to trade me her peanut butter and jelly sandwich for it
Lobster Mobster

I came home from work to a for sale sign in my front yard, my wife said she was tired of me working on the house so we built one. I was never so busy with all the things that had to get done after moving in.

Last edited:

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been building closets and putting in the floor in my work room/Man cave. I still need to sheetrock around the tank, water heater and furnace. The temperature in that room is all over the place in that room so the fish are just going to have to deal with it. I am going to put in a huge exhause fan which I ordered yesterday. This fan is so powerful it is supposed to pull out your ear wax from 20' away. :eek:

This made me laugh to the point my rib cage cramped up... :D

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plugged in the fan while I was holding it. The very first thing that happened, was that it tripped the breaker. :confused:
That was one of the builders 15 amp GFCI breakers which is a silly, Sissy thing to have on a garage circuit.
So I then held the fan and plugged it into one of the Real Man 20 amp Non GFCI circuits that I installed and the fan started to spin. Then spin faster, then faster, then it was going like an SST and I was almost pushed backward into my collection of Milly Vanilli tapes. :eek:

The thing acted like a gyroscope and I could hardly hold it. I can't wait to install this thing but I am worried it will pull the hermit crabs out of my tank. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally rinsed the rest:D of my gravel in fresh water to remove the bleach and added it to my reef. I didn't add all the rocks yet. But at least the gravel is up to the level it was in my last tank. I also turned on the Reverse UG filter just for kicks. You know no matter how much you wash gravel, no matter how old it is or how much you wash it, it will cloud your water so i had to run my diatom filter for a couple of hours until it overheated and stopped. I un plugged it before it went on fire but thats what diatom filters do. :rolleyes:

Now the tank is very clear and the corals stopped exuding coral snot. Corals hate change, but they just have to get over it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the tank is very clear and the corals stopped exuding coral snot. Corals hate change, but they just have to get over it.
upload_2018-7-26_8-2-20.jpeg

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally rinsed the rest:D of my gravel in fresh water to remove the bleach and added it to my reef. I didn't add all the rocks yet. But at least the gravel is up to the level it was in my last tank. I also turned on the Reverse UG filter just for kicks. You know no matter how much you wash gravel, no matter how old it is or how much you wash it, it will cloud your water so i had to run my diatom filter for a couple of hours until it overheated and stopped. I un plugged it before it went on fire but thats what diatom filters do. :rolleyes:

I presume you oiled the diatom filter

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oiled it! I drilled holes all around the bearings so they are floating in oil. I get an EXON oil slick in my tank when I use the thing

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh No!!! I am Battling hair algae, red algae, cyano, Godzilla Larvae and scrunge. But that stuff refuses to fight back, it just stays there laughing at me. :eek: There are dead Beatles and lightning bugs floating in a sea of sludge. I am at my wits end, and my wits are very long. I think I will change the water. Oh wait, that is stupid because it is all new water. Maybe i will add Prizapro, hermit crabs, snails and a Manatee, then cut down the lighting to 15 minutes every other day:confused:

I really need to get my skimmer up and running. I first need to get electricity there, luckily, I know an electrician. I sucked out a salad of hair algae. :mad:
OMG. I may have to quit the hobby, sell everything and get a job managing the French Fry machine at Burger King.

In the move I broke my skimmer pump. I have no idea where my ozonizer is and my algae scrubber is being used as a fly filter on my exhaust fan.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I am such a loser. I don't know what to do. ;Wideyed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back