Moving 47 year old reef 60 miles. OMG

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of your newly designed diatom filter if possible, please! Any DIY tips for that?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
costs about half the xl entire filter. LOL.
Mine seems to work just fine from innerspace but then I do have to oil the bearing before each use.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It costs half but it is an entirely new unit except for the bag and jar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beas, is that English or Swahilli?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that too, But it is an entire new unit. It works real well and supposedly doesn't need a seal and runs continuously. The old units get so hot you can fry ostrich eggs on them. This thing stays cool all night. It just doesn't seem to have the pressure as the old diatom filters but the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Paul .... I was given a working "plastic" version of the Diatom filter and noticed the filter bag is ripped. Vortex doesn't carry it and was wondering if you have any clue/idea on how or where to find a replacement filter bag?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B
Have you had anytime to go fishing giant tuna. I understand that it is the time of year for the “big boys” to play at Montauk Point.
Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

I have recently started dosing amino acids. As a follow thru, I also started dosing vinegar to grow bacteria.
It is my thought that bacteria acting on protein will breakdown to amino acids, some from animal protein and some from plant protein. Any thoughts on this.
Patrick

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick, I know nothing about it but I can make something up if you like. I never had luck dosing anything but calcium and alk. Whenever I tried dosing Kalk, Vodka or vinegar, my tank looked worse.
I stick with doing almost nothing to my tank. No testing, no adding or removing anything. It seems to work out much better in the long run. It seems to me that the tanks with all the tweeking and keeping everything just in the middle of where they are thought to be are the ones that crash first.
Just my observation. It is also my opinion that the fish with the most hands on "pampering" like quarantining, fresh water dipping and treating for various supposed ailments which most often come from quarantining that fish hate are the fish that get sick, get dosed with all sorts of medications then croak. Just my opinion of course. :cool:

I have not gone tuna fishing or any fishing yet as I have been busy non stop, all day almost every day. :rolleyes:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
The reason I went with dosing organic carbon was to grow bacteria for my sponges. As a reef hobby inside joke, “I am giving Vodka to The Sponges”.

I am still looking for the tide pool with so many ghost shrimp they must take turns to get in the water. While you may not be a Texacan, that story qualifies you to be one.

Patrick

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grass shrimp here are just as thick as my last marina. They have to tuck in their legs to swim because it is so crowded.
My sponges almost disappeared with my move but they grew enormousely since the tank settled down and is again looking good. I have not changed any water and am waiting until the last bit of algae is gone but it has only been 3 months and I don't usually change water that much anyway even now that I have an ocean in my back yard. :D

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fortunate to have such a large zooplankton reactor near by. My groundwater comes from Edwards Plateau limestone which was an ancient inland sea. It is the equivalent to lime water with a TDS near 1000 ppm. It goes directly into tanks. I promote evaporation to bring in minerals with make up water.

Sponges are my new best friend in the reef tank. They complete my biofiltration platform of bacteria, algae and sponges.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at amino's as carbon dosing plus nitrate dosing plus trace elements in one.

Not a fan since it's anthropogenic in origin, but if it suits your goals...! :) :)

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at amino's as carbon dosing plus nitrate dosing plus trace elements in one.

Not a fan since it's anthropogenic in origin, but if it suits your goals...! :) :)

I had to look up the definition before I liked your post. Of course, it is human activity, just as our reef tanks are so.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals

Since amino aids are generated by bacteria working on protein, I am all about bacteria, the true “microbial overlords” in our reef tanks. The majority of amino acids are generated from animal protein with 25% coming from algae protein.
So, if our fish foods contain animal & algae protein, anything not eaten is broken down into differrent amino acids by bacteria present in tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back